Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1488416  by freightguy

Grobtech,

Does that include the recently rebuilt NYAR 151,155,156, and 159 also for trade in?
 #1488420  by grobtech

At the last LIRR Committee meeting Phil Eng stated that the LIRR would be purchasing back the rebuilt and non-rebuilt E-15's from NYAR and replacing them all with Tier-4 locomotives. It looks like NYAR no longer has an option to purchase the engines that they lease from the LIRR, one E-10, four E-15s, and four E-20's. The RFP for new locomotives was written in January 2018 and stated that 19 E-15's (the ones on the LIRR roster NOT NYAR roster) would be traded in. I'm sure there will now be an amendment to the RFP. Additionally, there was no mention of the E-20's in the original RFP so I'm not sure what their fate is.
 #1488433  by freightguy

That’s interesting, end cab switchers are always in high demand for their versatility. It’s a shame Progressive can’t build a similar cab style with that type of horsepower. I’m assuming the cab design will be like the current 300/301 NYAR engines which are owned by the LIRR according to the blue card in the locomotives.
 #1488454  by Uncle Cheapo

LIRR can’t do squat about the purchased NYA MP 15s. They simply don’t own them. NYA will simply ship the MPs to one of its sister railroads in the sticks. Now the GP38s are a different story. They probably be returned to the LiRR, and retained. The LIRR will simply purchase about 30 tier 4 work engines, and lease about 12 to the NYA, to cover their engine needs.
 #1488468  by grobtech

freightguy wrote:That’s interesting, end cab switchers are always in high demand for their versatility. It’s a shame Progressive can’t build a similar cab style with that type of horsepower. I’m assuming the cab design will be like the current 300/301 NYAR engines which are owned by the LIRR according to the blue card in the locomotives.
As per the Technical Specs:
4.1.2. Carbody Configuration
4.1.2.1. Carbody shall be road switcher type with exterior catwalks on both sides of long
and short hoods, and catwalks across the full width of both ends.
4.1.2.2. Short hood shall be sufficiently low to accommodate forward facing windshields.

Definitely looks like a GP style design with low short hood and high long hood type of configuration.

Interesting note, it looks like there will be a return to the "Wave" theme except this time it will feature the new NYS Pantone that's adorning other MTA vehicles.
 #1488477  by newkirk

To grobtech:

Hope to see the return of the "wave" scheme. Would be a joy to photograph.

Will these new diesels be built new from the ground up or re-manufactured Geeps ?
 #1488481  by Backshophoss

Recycled underframes from Geeps,recycled/rebuilt trucks and traction motors from the trade in fodder,mix of new/recycled parts
from the underframe on up.
 #1488500  by grobtech

This is the spec for the engine on the new locomotives:
2.1.1.4. Prime mover brake horsepower shall be between 2000 HP and 2800 HP.
2.1.1.5. The prime mover shall be a single diesel engine that is Service Proven and
certified to EPA Tier 4 Emissions Standards and compliant with use in a railroad
locomotive application. The engine shall be manufactured by Cummins,
Caterpillar, or Railroad approved equal.

I only know of one manufacturer using Caterpillar - EMD / Progress Rail (they are owned by Caterpillar). Not sure who is using Cummins. This limits things right out of the starting gate. I'd imagine that the EMD / Progress Tier IV locomotive that became available last year may be a top contender.
 #1488505  by Backshophoss

Seimens SC-44 uses Cummins,Brookville uses MTU/Detroit Diesel,Knoxville Loco Works could use any Prime mover per customer's spec.
MTU prime movers are UK/European built,but used in every day service on UK's Network rail.
 #1488929  by Train2009

Before 11 AM this morning #160 and #168 was going by Stuart Manor headed eastbound to the Garden City Secondary and it came back westbound at 12:43 PM this afternoon, it came past New Hyde Park at 2:18 PM headed eastbound light.

#152 was the Jamaica protect.
 #1489492  by Train2009

160 was the Jamaica protect yesterday.

Also yesterday afternoon at 2:18 PM RF1 with #161,164,154,152,163 and #165 were leading 31 cars which it had Hopper cars and 8 open cut gondola cars with a Excavator as it passed Queens Village eastbound following Train #652 local from NYP to Huntington and the C3 train deadhead also to Huntington.
 #1489513  by Teutobergerwald

Have seen long consists of LIRR hoppers, gondolas, FTSX flatcars loaded with concrete ties, as well as specialized Plasser equipment lately, moving both west & then back east later in the afternoon just before 4pm, on the Port Jefferson Branch. Haven't seen the motive power, though.
 #1489871  by tahawus84

Saw a MP15,single m3 sandite car, fire protection tank and a trailing MP15 going west through Jamaica at 530 this afternoon. I didn’t catch any car numbers.