Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1479690  by CNJGeep

Looking for fares on 43/42 for dates in August and October and I'm only seeing Thruway buses. Amtrak says nothing on their website. Is NS doing long term trackwork?
 #1485334  by STrRedWolf

Today (Sept 9th) and tomorrow, the Pennsy's completely cancelled for track work in NS areas. To replace it, they're busituting the train between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh in two parts: a direct express and a station-by-station.

My question is... what routes are they taking?

Here's my guess, going westbound on 43 express:
  1. From the Harrisburg Transportation Center (a Greyhound bus station), right on Market Street
  2. Right on South Cameron Street
  3. Left on Paxton Street
  4. Right on South 13th Street
  5. Right Exit to West I-83
  6. Right Exit to I-76, continue to Monroeville
  7. Right Exit to I-376, continue to Pittsburgh
  8. Left Exit to Grant Street
  9. Straight onto a short strip of Liberty Ave
  10. Left on 11th Street
  11. Enter Greyhound bus station.
43 local is a bit of a chore.
  1. From the Harrisburg Transportation Center (a Greyhound bus station), right on Market Street
  2. Left on N Cameron Street
  3. Straight onto US-22
  4. Near Lewistown, exit onto Business US-22 (BUS-US-22)
  5. Left at PA-103
  6. Right Helen Street.
  7. Station Stop Lewistown
  8. Left from Helen Street at PA-103
  9. Left at BUS-US-22
  10. Exit onto US-522
  11. At Long Hollow, straight on US-22 (US-522 splits)
  12. Skip Huntington (no room!)
  13. Right at PA-453 outside Alfarata
  14. Left Penna Avenue.
  15. Station Stop Tyrone (Flag)
  16. Right from Penna Avenue to West 11th Street (PA 453)
  17. Right Exit to I-99/US-220 South
  18. Right Exit to 17th Street
  19. Right onto 17th Street
  20. Right onto 12th Avenue
  21. Right onto 13th Street
  22. Right onto Altoona Station/Transit Center/Bus Terminal
  23. Exit onto P R R Expressway
  24. Right Exit to 17th Street
  25. Right Exit I-99/US-220 South
  26. Right Exit US-22 West
  27. Right Exit US-219 South
  28. Right Exit PA-56
  29. Right Exit Bedford Street
  30. Left Main Street
  31. Right Franklin Street
  32. Left Washington Street
  33. Right Walnut Street
  34. Left William Penn Ave/Walnut Street (continue on Walnut)
  35. Station Stop Johnstown
  36. Left Johns Street
  37. Right PA-56
  38. Left Broad Street
  39. Left Fairfield Avenue
  40. Straight onto St Clair Road
  41. Right PA 271
  42. Left PA 711
  43. Right W Church Street (Gotta avoid a circle on Main)
  44. Left Fairview Street
  45. Right US-30
  46. Right Exit PA 982
  47. Left Lincoln Ave
  48. Left Depot Street (PA 981)
  49. Right Ligonier Street
  50. Right McKinley Ave
  51. Station Stop Latrobe
  52. Right South Alexandria Street
  53. Right Depot Street (PA 981)
  54. Right US 30
  55. Right East Pittsburgh Street
  56. Right Otterman Street
  57. Right Harrison Ave
  58. Station Stop Greensburg
  59. Left College Ave
  60. Right Otterman Street
  61. Right Exit US-30
  62. Right Exit I-376
  63. Left Exit to Grant Street
  64. Straight onto a short strip of Liberty Ave
  65. Left on 11th Street
  66. Enter Greyhound bus station.
Edit to add: Take that with a grain of salt, since they're Greyhound buses and I couldn't dig up a good route map on them.
Last edited by STrRedWolf on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1485383  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote:Why do you have Latrobe twice? Do you need extra Rolling Rock for the drive? :P
Haven't tried that lager, to be honest. I have to try it against Yeungling. :)

But that said, updated for Lewistown first stop after Harrisburg, although it looks like my guess is wrong for the local stops, considering they're using Greyhound. I have to post a different route.
 #1485573  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

STrRedWolf wrote:
ryanov wrote:Yeungling are union busters.

I think Rolling Rock may now be made in Newark, NJ instead.
That, and Yeungling isn't accessible by train (it's northeast of Harrisburg).
Well not by Amtrak or any regularly scheduled passenger service but Reading and Northern does run excursions from Pottsville.

http://www.rbmnrr-passenger.com/new-trips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1487167  by STrRedWolf

So I noticed this:

http://www.altoonamirror.com/news/local ... -services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short, they want to start from Pittsburgh to Altoona, and then make progress to Harrisburg now.

Hmmm... which makes me wonder how they're going to pull it off. Maybe Amtrak being contracted to "PATrain" again? I would think the Pittsburgh train station would need some work... but I then also see half a way where if trains were extended, it could cover some heavy traffic areas with DMUs (train to take over the 28x bus?).
 #1487195  by MACTRAXX

RW: The PatTrain (Pittsburgh-McKeesport-Versailles) was a former B&O/CSX operation.
The former PRR main line across PA in more recent years was a Conrail and then NS route.

Amtrak once ran a train between Altoona and Pittsburgh titled the "Fort Pitt" that was funded by
Penndot and ran from April 26, 1981 to January 30, 1983 which ran AM west, PM east using the
equipment of the Pennsylvanian - which then was a PHL-PGH train with connections to NYP. This
train was turned at PGH and overnighted in ALT for servicing which was an interesting utilization
of a single equipment set. The service ended when Penndot funding was withdrawn.
http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/fortpitt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To me it is hard to believe that the former route of trains such as the Broadway Limited and the
Duquesne W of HAR has only the Pennsylvanian serving the route both ways each day...
This route can support at the very least another round trip or maybe more (with co-operation
from NS and PA financial support) remembering what was and what could be...MACTRAXX
 #1489180  by STrRedWolf

ohioriverrailway wrote:What's happening between Harrisburg and Lewistown that's making 42 and 43 run late?

https://twitter.com/AmtrakNECAlerts/sta ... 8216796160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pennsylvanian Train 42 is currently operating about 1 hr 10 min late due to law enforcement personnel assisting the train at Johnstown, PA (JST) and Freight Train interference along the route. Please check http://Amtrak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or our mobile app for additional status updates.
 #1489191  by Acela150

ohioriverrailway wrote:What's happening between Harrisburg and Lewistown that's making 42 and 43 run late?
Yesterday (10/22) NS was doing the Signal Cutover between BANKS and CANNON. They put the new signals in service, took the old PRR signals out of service as well as the 116 signal. The PITL will be cab signals only. I believe that train 43 took a 2 hour plus hit in Harrisburg. Normally the Harrisburg Terminal Dispatcher wants 42 and 43 on and off of their territory.