Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1474632  by shadyjay

In this day in age, honestly, most people take advantage of the mobile app or the web site/e-mail feature. They just scan the QR code from the e-mail and that's it. I thought I did read in an earlier press release that Amtrak was to have a Quik-Trak machine at GCT, but I didn't seen one today (and I walked all around). What is weird is that due to ticket windows renovations, Metro-North ticketing is now using the "New Haven" windows. There were only 3 of them open. Most MN passengers just opt for the ticket machines.

I took advantage of some guest rewards points and booked a trip for today, last night, up to Poughkeepsie and back. The pre-boarding line at Track 24 got pretty long for my 10:15am departure, so they let us board early. There was Amtrak and MTA staff there at the gate. They were shocked at how long the line got, stretching back towards the cross-cut passage from Graybar to Lexington by Hudson News.

Going, we had one of the P32s with a nose door. On the way back (242), we had a P32 with a MARC cab car leading, and came into GCT (er.... NYG) right in the middle of the PM rush.

Pics, if interested are here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/ ... 6891410584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by shadyjay on Thu May 31, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1474635  by DutchRailnut

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Curtin, hard as it may be to believe, Amtrak does not have either a staffed ticket office, or for that matter, a Quik-Trak machine, at GCT (NYG).

Actually I was told by Amtrak crews that two Quik-Track machines are installed and working in GCT.
 #1474668  by shadyjay

Well, unless they hid them in the stationmaster's office, I didn't see them anywhere. Nothing at the main 42nd st entrance, Vanderbilt Hall, Graybar, Hyatt, or Shuttle passages. Nothing by Tracks 24 or 25 or in the Biltmore Room. No signage or mention of them by the Metro North ticket windows. I'll check again tomorrow or Friday.

Also of note, the GCT departure board on the Metro North web site no longer lists the Amtrak departures. At GCT, you can only find them on the "big board". I don't recall the old school "monitors" at the entrances were showing Amtrak departures either.
 #1474814  by TCurtin

My wife and I were in GCT twice last week and saw no sign of anything. Of course that was before Amtrak service began there
 #1474824  by shadyjay

Double-checked. No QuickTrak anywhere from concourse south, including south TVM room. Didn't have time to check the north room or the stationmaster's office. It was 530pm and quite crowded.
 #1474835  by electricron

Whether or not Amtrak sells tickets at Grand Central Station or not, how difficult would it be for New Yorkers to get to Pennsylvania Station o buy tickets for Empire Service trains?
 #1474865  by ExCon90

Depends what you mean by difficult. For someone on the East Side, two subways plus lines at Penn would almost certainly mean over a half hour, maybe almost an hour.
 #1474876  by andrewjw

Everyone can use e-Ticket now... on their phone, or, if they don't have a smartphone, printed ahead of time. This is a non-issue.
 #1474972  by TCurtin

Which still leaves the other part of my question unanswered --- how and where are they handling the re-provisioning of cafe/dinette cars on 63-64 and 68-69?
 #1474978  by Noel Weaver

Sorry about the slow answer, with reference to stocking the food etc, they have re-opened the facility at Rensselaer and stock the trains there. There is talk that they might restore some of the cafe cars on the trains that originate or terminate at Rensselaer as well. I guess that is a wait and see situation.
Noel Weaver
 #1474991  by JimBoylan

Perhaps the unused Dining Car crews from the Lake Shore Ltd. could be used to restore Café service on Hudson Valley trains. This might help Amtrak's Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act (RUIA) rates.
 #1475013  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Boylan, I doubt if the displacement of twenty or so employees between the New York and Washington bases - especially during the Summer vacation season - will have that great effect.

There could be employees who did not have enough seniority for a Summer vacation who now suddenly do. By Fall, simply normal attrition will diminish the List so that there will be no further effect on the workforce; they might actually be hiring.
 #1475019  by Railjunkie

JimBoylan wrote:Perhaps the unused Dining Car crews from the Lake Shore Ltd. could be used to restore Café service on Hudson Valley trains. This might help Amtrak's Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act (RUIA) rates.

A chef or waiter just cant bump to the cafe car just because they no longer have a train to work. One has to have previous rights as an LSA to work a cafe car.