Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1472828  by GSC

Here's one worth researching:

Some years ago I found some information concerning probably the first railroad in Ocean County (even before, as Ocean County was founded in 1850). It seems a Mr. Terry (possibly Joseph) operated a sand quarry near Toms River and built a small railroad to haul the sand. He purchased a small steam locomotive but it turns out that the machine was prone to breakdowns and derailments and the experiment was given up.

Not sure where I found the article. I'll dig up what I can find and post it.

Anyone else familiar with this?

So many other tidbits too: There was a narrow gauge railroad on the beach at Spring Lake, near Wreck Pond. Not an amusement ride, but an industrial operation. Sand, most likely.
 #1473135  by RailsEast

CSX 4429 leading CSX 2798 with 14, approaching Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 5:00 in the pm. 1 brick car on the head end, with a low-side gon right behind...haven't seen a low-side gon in awhile. 12 for Woodhaven this week......
 #1473589  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Sorry, this is 2 weeks late, but this is the run from 5/10/18.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuEZvDqG0Sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris if you want to know what I'm talking about, that it stops after Maxwell Rd, go to the end of the video, and I put a clip of it stopped.
 #1473965  by RailsEast

CSX 4429, CSX 4432 + 18, 17 Woodhavens and one tank, by Sycamore Ave at 4:35 in the pm.
 #1473976  by RailsEast

Radio was scratchy, but I though I heard South Jersey warn SA-31 about a brush fire near the tracks... couldn't make out the milepost though. There was nothing at MP 43 in Tinton Falls....
 #1473985  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Yeah, Chris, I was able to make something out about that too. For some reason today, my scanner income was all scratchy. I could hardly hear anything.
Btw, thanks for the heads-up today!
 #1473996  by NJT4149

There may or may not be a daylight run up the Southern tomorrow... Apparently there is no SA-38 crew tonight