Railroad Forums 

• Egg Harbour-May's Landing

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#146735  by JimBoylan

Is the line from Egg Harbour City to May's Landing a fit topic for this section? Did it last long enough to become part of, or be abandoned by, P-RSL?
 #146962  by JJMDiMunno

JimBoylan wrote:Is the line from Egg Harbour City to May's Landing a fit topic for this section? Did it last long enough to become part of, or be abandoned by, P-RSL?
Looks like this line was constructed in 1871, by a company called the Mays Landing and Egg Harbor Railroad Company. The line itself is not shown on any official PRSL maps, and so it surely was abandoned long before 1933. In any case, I'll see what else I can dig up on this from some other sources...not much out there in terms of reference materials on this, or so it seems...

Mike DiMunno

#147026  by shetzer

The book Railroading in Atlantic County by Andrew Russell provides a brief history on the Mays Landing and Egg Harbor Railroad, including a photo of the station. It can be found at a number of the Atlantic County Library branches.

http://www.atlanticlibrary.org/aclibrary/pacs.asp

If I remember correctly, I believe the line lasted about 20 years. The station was located where the Shaner School sits on Farragut Avenue in Mays Landing. Some areas of the railbed can still be seen on aerial photography, but much of it overgrown.

#147086  by Steam man

Get Google Earth (it's a free D/L) , it has a lot better satellite images than Terra-Server and enter Farragut Ave, Mays Landing NJ. It will take you just about to the Shaner School and if you look just NNE on the school, you can see what appears to be the roadbed. It wanders of thru the woods and if you follow it closely, most of the railway is identifiable.

#147139  by JJMDiMunno

OK, here's what I've got now:

Originally planned construction by the C&A, but plans cancelled due to C&A financial constraints. Line constructed by the Mays Landing and Egg Harbor Railroad Company, but leased by the C&A. C&A operated the trains.

June 1, 1872: First revenue train to run over the route.

1875 timetable lists two round trips per day.

All traffic ceased over the route on Feb. 1, 1882. C&A was sued by the ML&EHRR in a long and drawn out court case, which was finally settled in 1893. In that year, with all rent paid up, the C&A ripped up the railroad.

This information courtesy of P.W. Schopp...

Mike DiMunno

#541845  by Aireroscoe

As kids in the mid-1960s we were wandering in the wooded area south of the Black Horse Pike and east of Route 50, and ran into what looked to be a railroad right-of-way. We went to the courthouse in Mays Landing to see what we could find out about it in the property records, but came up blank.

Recently, I decided to investigate further and found that we didn't go far enough back in the records. Found the following link at Rutgers; a map of New Jersey railroads from 1887 which shows the line. Hope the link works and that this might be helpful.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALM ... _of_NJ.jpg