Railroad Forums 

• NJTransit to borrow from MARC

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1465320  by trainster78

blockline4180 wrote:
trainster78 wrote:
BVERailer wrote:When are they coming? I'm hoping we get some up on the Pascack Valley Line!
Most likely these coaches will be used to relieve the ALP-45DP fleet on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Lines which have been stuck on the end of trains which would usually have an ALP-46 for power, if your on the PVL, most likely you'll be seeing more DP's. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Heard the same thing, but I doubt anything has arrived yet so it may be some time.

I did see a ALP46 and DP locomotive on each end today at Denville. There are a few NJCL and Corridor sets that make their way up to Dover and possibly MSU during the midday hours, but don't know the exact assignments.
Usually the NJCL 2600 (Long Branch-Hoboken) sets run up to Hoboken in the Morning and then to Dover mid-day, then return to Hoboken for the southbound NJCL rush. That has been my own observation.
 #1465805  by andrewjw

It's a little hard to tell at close to 200mph relative speed, but my northbound Regional just passed some very MARC-looking cars on the southbound local between Princeton Junction and Hamilton.
 #1465870  by blockline4180

andrewjw wrote:It's a little hard to tell at close to 200mph relative speed, but my northbound Regional just passed some very MARC-looking cars on the southbound local between Princeton Junction and Hamilton.

From everything I heard and from the people I spoke too I doubt the MARC cars are in service yet or even on the property.. What you may have seen is them being delivered to MMC or something entirely different.
 #1468545  by blockline4180

The original plan was for NJT to lease 20 MARC commuter cars but the article says 10. My guess is because only 10 were available this time around.. No??
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
 #1468863  by TSTII

So all this political hype that 'help' is on the way and the net result is ONE 10-car train to the rescue ????

Is this a joke ?
 #1468907  by blockline4180

TSTII wrote:So all this political hype that 'help' is on the way and the net result is ONE 10-car train to the rescue ????

Is this a joke ?

No joke. You can never trust a political press conference or newspaper article with the so called "facts". Although, one cant tell if the original plan was infact to borrow 20, without checking with MARC first if they were available. Bad PR move if true.
 #1469738  by trainster78

JamesRR wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
trainster78 wrote:Not a chance. The Comet III's NJTR still have are rusting away at Bay Head Yard (NJCL) with graffiti all over. I saw that first hand not to long ago. However, bringing the Comet IV's back wouldn't be a bad idea.
I thought the IVs were still in service. Where did they go?
Me too? I know I've seen some in morning consists. I assume they're put in for accessibility reasons.
What I meant by that was the Comet IV Cabs, they were taken out of leading service due to the fact that the EPIC system they have is out of date, and now I guess they do not have PTC installed. You can periodically see them on the NJCL, NEC, and ME lines trailing behind the locomotive. Some of them are used as protect cabcars, connected to the protect unit so they are capable of higher speeds.
 #1470381  by blockline4180

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Any updates on when we will start seeing MARC trainsets operating in NJT service? What lines will see them operating the most?
Have no idea, but my guess is 1 train car set of 10 used exclusively on the NEC and/or NJCL. Sullivan may know more.
 #1470407  by njtmnrrbuff

It wouldn’t surprise me that they use them on the two that you mentioned especially the NEC, maybe on one of the Jersey Ave or Trenton expresses. Using them on a Coastline express train during the summer isn’t a bad idea either.
 #1470539  by ST214

If MARC does not have enough equipment, the MBTA has some very worn MBB’s available.
 #1470594  by sullivan1985

ALP45DP 4515 wrote:Wouldn't it be more efficient to split the 10 cars into two trains of 5 cars?
Being that the MARC cars can not be combined with NJT cars due to different trainline systems, probably not. I suspect you will see one 8-car set with two MARC cars as spares in the event something is shopped.
 #1470600  by TSTII

Do we have any photos of these 10 cars either when active on MARC or in storage ?

If already posted please redirect me....thanks

Sully -

Are these cars limited to being hauled by only certain NJT locos ? Presume that a cab car or two are part of the lease ?
 #1470604  by DutchRailnut

These MARC II a and MARC II b cars made by Sumitomo do not have compatible door train lines. but they do have standard 27 point control systems .
same the 480 volt HEP train lines are standard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-q4fojVvrg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/MARC_Train#/Passenger_cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;