Railroad Forums 

• NJTransit to borrow from MARC

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1463679  by Defiant

Any idea why MARC has such an abundance of train cars to loan? What is the reason they have this excess, seems a bit unusual...
 #1463680  by STrRedWolf

Defiant wrote:Any idea why MARC has such an abundance of train cars to loan? What is the reason they have this excess, seems a bit unusual...
Hi from the DC/MARC forum! MTA Maryland's MARC division is slowly replacing their MARC IIa/b single-levels with the MARC IV's, so we got spares. MARC's leasing them out for extra cash while they're still viable to run on the NEC (and some LIRR lines).
 #1463740  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote:How far along is the MARC Kawasaki car overhauls? How long before that project is done?
I haven't heard anything since 2016 when the contract landed. Bombardier has 65 MARC III's to go and refurb, so I'm betting it'll take a good decade to get through them all. Besides, they're also working on the HHP-8 rebuilds that are producing results.
 #1463759  by trainster78

JamesRR wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
trainster78 wrote:Not a chance. The Comet III's NJTR still have are rusting away at Bay Head Yard (NJCL) with graffiti all over. I saw that first hand not to long ago. However, bringing the Comet IV's back wouldn't be a bad idea.
I thought the IVs were still in service. Where did they go?
Me too? I know I've seen some in morning consists. I assume they're put in for accessibility reasons.

The IV cab cars are in service but are not allowed to lead services, similar to the occasion of now the NS Conrail D8W fleet.
 #1463887  by blockline4180

BVERailer wrote:When are they coming? I'm hoping we get some up on the Pascack Valley Line!
Your guess is as good as mine... Hopefully before the summer! The silence is deafening!!
 #1464103  by trainster78

BVERailer wrote:When are they coming? I'm hoping we get some up on the Pascack Valley Line!
Most likely these coaches will be used to relieve the ALP-45DP fleet on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Lines which have been stuck on the end of trains which would usually have an ALP-46 for power, if your on the PVL, most likely you'll be seeing more DP's. That's what I've heard, anyway.
 #1464161  by irtredbirdr33

Monday, March 5, I rode Port Jervis LIne train No.44 from Salisbury Mills to Hoboken. The train had a full consist of NJT equipement (as opposed to MN Comet V). The consist was 5044 (cab)-5587-5520-5592-5530 and 4525 (eng). It is the car numbers that concern me. I checked several sources and I cannot find them on any roster. The numbers 5520 and 5530 are assigned to Comet III coaches but I believe that all of these cars are laid up out of service. The cab car was 5044. I believe that only Comet V cab cars can lead trains. All the cars were in NJT livery and all had the general appearance of a Comet IV.

Has there been some change in the roster with cars being re-numbered? I would appreciate any information from those of you familiar with NJT operation. Thank you

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1464199  by Zuccaraillo

Correct. There is no such thing as a 5044 but there is a 6044. You might’ve meant 5220 and 5230.
 #1464203  by irtredbirdr33

Gentlemen (and ladies)

Please disregard my post about the train consist on the Port Jervis Line. All of the equipment was MN Comet V's. It time that I bought some new glasses.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1464228  by blockline4180

trainster78 wrote:
Most likely these coaches will be used to relieve the ALP-45DP fleet on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Lines which have been stuck on the end of trains which would usually have an ALP-46 for power, if your on the PVL, most likely you'll be seeing more DP's. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Heard the same thing, but I doubt anything has arrived yet so it may be some time.

I did see a ALP46 and DP locomotive on each end today at Denville. There are a few NJCL and Corridor sets that make their way up to Dover and possibly MSU during the midday hours, but don't know the exact assignments.