Railroad Forums 

• Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1454770  by MattAmity90

I think the pneumatic drill into the concrete was to fix that water crack issue (You can see water on the platform), and put in the circuitry for the lights. I've never seen three exhaust vents for a staircase entrance, and judging from the color of the canopies in order going Eastbound it will be Wantagh (Blue), Seaford (Red), then Massapequa (Green).

The station looks beautiful, and to think that the last time I stood on that platform it was warped, bumpy, cracked, and corroded!
 #1460765  by bellstbarn

The Seaford Herald-Citizen that arrived today has a front-page story above freezing weather causing problems on the east half of the Wantagh platform. Surprising to me, the explanation involves the pipes being placed in the platform to keep snow melting! I had no idea that LIRR platforms were heated; my toes never noticed. Could the new system involve circulating warm water, and it is these very pipes that failed during the past few weeks of freezing temps? I'm puzzled.
---
The article also states that the new escalator will be wider than the current one.
 #1460771  by MattAmity90

How far along have they come with installing light fixtures, signs, and railing? I already know they fixed the issue with water in the platform (it was near the elevator), and that the canopies are up.
 #1460869  by JamesRR

bellstbarn wrote:The Seaford Herald-Citizen that arrived today has a front-page story above freezing weather causing problems on the east half of the Wantagh platform. Surprising to me, the explanation involves the pipes being placed in the platform to keep snow melting! I had no idea that LIRR platforms were heated; my toes never noticed. Could the new system involve circulating warm water, and it is these very pipes that failed during the past few weeks of freezing temps? I'm puzzled.
---
I believe they did this at Hicksville too during the recent renovation.
 #1461051  by troffey

bellstbarn wrote:The Seaford Herald-Citizen that arrived today has a front-page story above freezing weather causing problems on the east half of the Wantagh platform. Surprising to me, the explanation involves the pipes being placed in the platform to keep snow melting! I had no idea that LIRR platforms were heated; my toes never noticed. Could the new system involve circulating warm water, and it is these very pipes that failed during the past few weeks of freezing temps? I'm puzzled.
---
The article also states that the new escalator will be wider than the current one.
These radiant heat/snow melt systems usually use a glycol based solution (similar to antifreeze) to keep the concrete warm enough for snow and ice to melt. However, they're often tested using water, and can also collect water during construction as they're exposed to the elements until the concrete is poured. Sounds like for one reason or another water was in the pipes and froze. If the piping burst, they would have to chip out the concrete, fix the break(s) and re-pour concrete before the platform would be complete.
 #1463013  by MattAmity90

Someone recently uploaded a video on YouTube showing trains at Wantagh recently. Phase I should be completed by May from the looks of it.

1.) Both canopies have been erected with lights, signs, and Solari signs attached to them.
2.) Waiting room has been built with the artwork.
3.) Elevator is having glass installed on the side.
4.) Materials have been laid in between the two canopies, ready for installation. At this time the space has nothing erected in place.
5.) Water issue has been fixed.
6.) Looks like Wantagh will be green like Massapequa, although it was filmed on an overcast day. I'm not sure if it's green, black, or maybe a dark blue.
 #1463047  by MattAmity90

Amtrak7 wrote:The switch to the other half of the platform will occur at 10:15am tomorrow, February 26.
Tomorrow? The new Eastern half is not ready yet, the light fixtures and all infrastructure hasn't been erected in between the canopies!
 #1463049  by bellstbarn

Matt,
At least ten workers were on the platform this Sunday afternoon, 1 p.m., in breeze and drizzle (following heavy downpour). A new barrier is up at the west end of the new loading area. Glass surrounds the waiting room and the far eastern stairway. The protective glass on the stairway from the west side of Beech Street was not yet complete, but those people are working away. Amtrak 7 may be correct on the opening time.
Joe McMahon
 #1463122  by MattAmity90

Oh wait, I see why Phase I is complete and will be moved to the Eastern half at 10:15 AM after the AM rush. The new schedules come out, and by the time the next ones would come out in May, the Eastern half would be completed. I took screenshots of the station from a YouTube video, so here they are.
Screenshot (157).png
Screenshot (156).png
Screenshot (154).png
 #1463126  by KT3

At the Wantagh station this morning, everything was in final prep for the switchover to the newly rebuilt eastern portion of the platform. Unfortunately, no one seemed to have bothered to tell the conductor manning the doors of the 7:10am to Atlantic Terminal, or the conductor failed to read the LIRR's recent communications about this, as the conductor appeared confused about which doors to open and resorted to shouting at people on the platform about which end of the platform was open this morning before opening the doors to the train. One hopes they figure this out before they make the platform switch official at 10:15am today ...
 #1463160  by MattAmity90

I'm just wondering how does the station look now? Any more light fixtures installed, benches, new signs etc? I know that the elevator won't be in service until the entire station has been rehabilitated at the end of the Summer.
 #1463266  by AlKaLI

KT3 wrote:At the Wantagh station this morning, everything was in final prep for the switchover to the newly rebuilt eastern portion of the platform. Unfortunately, no one seemed to have bothered to tell the conductor manning the doors of the 7:10am to Atlantic Terminal, or the conductor failed to read the LIRR's recent communications about this, as the conductor appeared confused about which doors to open and resorted to shouting at people on the platform about which end of the platform was open this morning before opening the doors to the train. One hopes they figure this out before they make the platform switch official at 10:15am today ...
Something's not quite right. The LIRR's statement about the closure does not make sense.
http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/w ... estend.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The LIRR is advising to enter/exit from the first 6 cars on both eastbound and westbound trains. I think it should be first 6 EB and last 6 on WB
I will check on my way home but I believe the new barrier closes the west end which only allows access to the last six cars on westbound trains.
 #1463282  by MattAmity90

It's a typo, sometimes they get a little excited while typing. I mean this is a massive transition, because the platform that is being replaced opened when Wantagh was elevated from 1966-1968 making the platform being replaced 50 years old! The Eastern half was the toughest with the crane in Triangle Park, and the installation of the new waiting room and elevator shaft to go along with the two Eastern staircases. The Western half will be easier with a new wider escalator, two staircases and should go by quickly. The staircase under the Wantagh Avenue overpass will be tricky, and I don't know where the crane will move to, probably Railroad Avenue West of Wantagh Avenue.