Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1457235  by Mass Coastal 2010

They started loading cars for Excel in the salt yard on the Dean St. Branch last year (I believe around January/February). It was so busy that they even had a trackmobile stationed there to move the cars around for loading. I haven't observed cars being loaded there for a couple months now so I do not know what they are doing rail wise now. Maybe they're waiting for the siding to be installed in Freetown to ship by rail again? Trucking the scrap material from Freetown to Taunton probably got annoying. Who knows?
Mike
 #1463265  by GP40MC1118

Haven't been down that way since December. Didn't see any activity or even grading for a siding.
Parallel hasn't been in the news at all either. Wonder if its still going to happen?

D
 #1463305  by fogg1703

Was curious of that myself.
Is the other South Coast recipient of the 2016 IRAP, Excel Scrap, utilizing their funds in Freetown for their new operation?
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1463349  by GP40MC1118

Excel is another unknown. I thought I heard something about some grading going
on, but I can't confirm it. Just don't get out there anymore.

The saddest thing about that adjoining industrial park (where Weyerhauser was)
is the gigantic marijuana grow facility being built there. Another rail potential
available industrial lot gone astray...

D
 #1463525  by SOCO11

fogg1703 wrote:Any news about Parallel Products 2016 IRAP Grant award for a new siding in New Bedford?

Did they buy the property on 10 Mozzone Blvd in Taunton next to the TGIF? It has a rail siding. Google is showing that as their address.
 #1463705  by fogg1703

SOCO11 wrote:Did they buy the property on 10 Mozzone Blvd in Taunton next to the TGIF? It has a rail siding. Google is showing that as their address.
Thats their old address. Now its a lighting company. Parallel used to take box cars there and stopped right around the CSX takeover. Some truly sunken in the mud tracks.
 #1466112  by SOCO11

I was in Sandwich today and saw extensive construction going on at the canal electric plant. Is it going back into use? I also saw a GATX tank car just inside the fence on the siding. Ammonia?
 #1466177  by New Haven 1

If my fuzzy memory serves me correctly, I remember when riding the tourist train through Sandwich that there was a propane dealer that had a spur that while still connected was dormant. Are they still in business, and, if so, does anyone know why they no longer use rail to get deliveries? Just curious.
 #1466201  by GP40MC1118

Small propane dealers like the one at Sagamore ended rail service or closed due to
changes in the industry. I just can't remember the exact reasons. The Watuppa Branch had three of
them at one point - the last one was Home Gas on Shawmut Avenue in New Bedford.

D