Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1441660  by MickD

Money would be better spent at this point
getting HBLR extension to Englewood done ASAP...
Hackensack to N.Bergen after that maybe..
 #1441679  by time

From a "numbers served" point of view, wouldn't the MOM project be the best fit for any system expansion? I realize the costs may not be the same, since the NYSW is an existing in service line, but if I were at the top, I'd be pushing that project ahead. Someone replied that the NYSW service largely duplicates existing service. MOM would bring commuter rail to areas that are not served by rail, have high congestion and require busses that further clog our highways.
 #1441700  by Jeff Smith

A little older, but timely.

http://www.njherald.com/20170813/from-t ... ves-aug-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
25 years ago

Aug. 13, 1992

Rails offer more commuter service for county

NJ Transit set to purchase 28-mile Lackawanna cutoff

NEWTON -- The restoration of the passenger train service to northwestern New Jersey, which could extend as far as Warwick, N.Y., is part of an ambitious plan unveiled earlier this week which outlines NJ Transit plans to upgrade its passenger service throughout the state.

The reactivation plan includes not only the NYS&W line, but also reactivation and extension of two other rail lines serving northwestern New Jersey. The plans include:

Reactivation of a nine-mile extension of the Boonton Line from its current terminus in Netcong into Hackettstown. According to a transit official, the extension will serve commuters from Hackettstown to destinations along the Boonton and Morristown lines, Newark, Hoboken and New York. The extension will also enable NJ Transit to serve the developing Mount Olive International Trade Center, a transit official said.

A report by NJ Transit officials also notes the state Department of Transportation is purchasing the 28-mile-long Lackawanna Cutoff Right of Way for possible future transportation use. The purchase of the cutoff is being funded by the state's 1989 Abandoned Railroad Rights of Way Bond Issue, which allocated about $10 million for the cutoff purchase.

The line, which stretches from Port Morris in Roxbury into Pennsylvania, runs through Morris, Warren and Sussex counties. Byram, Stanhope, Green and Andover Township in Sussex County are among the municipalities the cutoff runs though.

The cutoff has the potential to provide rail transportation in Sussex and Warren Counties, serve the Delaware River Water Gap Recreation Area, and provide an additional transportation corridor into Pennsylvania, the report stated.

NJ Transit will consider using the cutoff as an extension of its existing commuter rail network as travel demand increases, according to the report.
 #1442091  by Hawaiitiki

It's just crazy that in the time period from when the article was written until now, the population of America's already most crowded state (NJ) has risen by over 1mn people. And we're in the same spot we were 25 years ago with these projects...NOWHERE.

And sure, you could say the areas where population has really exploded isn't Bergen or Sussex County, its down the shore. Fair enough. But its not like anything has happened in Monmouth or Ocean County either.

It seems like the only place where a project will get done these days in the Northeast is where some politico is in the pockets of developers who want to build condos along the proposed rail line (cough HBLR, cough RiverLine, cough 7 Train to Hudson Yards). Sorry all you lifelong NJ property owners, hope you like the bus and your deteriorating commuter rail system.

I've been on these forums for ten years now, and I've seen Democrats and Republicans come and go with all the same lack of effectiveness. And I think this is how we all feel.

#1455505  by ryanov

You can read basically any post about anything the new governor says and cue the pages of whining about paying taxes that follow.

We don't want nice things.
 #1467081  by MaRoFu

Eventually, after the service to Hackensack starts, they should really look into extending the rail line to Edgewater with a transfer station at 91st street along the future HBLR, and a potential stairway/elevator to Edgewater from Cliffside Park. That whole area in general needs better public transport due to the abysmal traffic.

Also, a station along the Maywood and Rochelle Park border (I think?) near the former depot and next to Saddle Brook park should also be constructed. I know I've heard somewhere that these towns did not really like the new rail service, but hey. It's not like trains don't run there anymore like in Tenafly.

Any chance that the Lodi branch can eventually be used for something related to this? I do know a new wye would need to be built at the main line though.
 #1502921  by Roadgeek Adam

It's alive, again, somehow.

New parts include a station at Passaic Junction (Bergen Line Transfer), Rochelle Avenue (Rochelle Park), Maywood Avenue (Maywood), Pascack Valley Line Transfer (Central Avenue) and River Street (Downtown/River St) in place of State Street.

An extension to Tonelle Avenue involves a station at 69th Street, the Vince Lombardi Service Area, Mount Vernon St (Ridgefield Park station), Central Avenue, and West Fort Lee Road (Bogota).

There are public meetings coming up.
 #1503160  by Hawaiitiki

You're a few weeks early for April Fools posts. Almost spit out my coffee when I saw the Edgewater Branch even suggested on that link.