Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1444448  by EuroStar

LIRR cannot move out of the existing station -- the new Moynihan hall will not have the capacity to handle all LIRR commuters. In theory Amtrak could move completely to Moynihan, but I doubt it. It is unlikely that the real estate developers will be willing to cede sufficient space in the Moynihan hall for all of Amtrak's crew and support spaces. Eventually, maybe next century (sorry, can't resist the sarcasm) NJT will extend the central corridor to the low numbered tracks providing a couple of more exit points per platform. Other than that, I am not aware of any improvements (including expansion) of the NJT spaces at Penn Station that are being discussed or looked at actively for the next 20-25 years.
 #1444453  by JamesRR

The only thing I could see changing the layout at Penn is Gateway and the addition of the 7 tracks of Penn South. These will require connection to existing concourses, at which time perhaps some alterations will be made to the current concourses.
 #1444456  by SecaucusJunction

If you are an NJT rider, you will be able to wait in Moynihan station for your train. If you are unlucky and your train departs from tracks 1-4, you will still easily be able to get from Moynihan, through the new corridor, to the lower numbered tracks before the train leaves.

The NJT section is actually the nicest section of the old Penn Station, it just needs to be expanded. Moynihan should help.
 #1444603  by JamesRR

SecaucusJunction wrote:If you are an NJT rider, you will be able to wait in Moynihan station for your train. If you are unlucky and your train departs from tracks 1-4, you will still easily be able to get from Moynihan, through the new corridor, to the lower numbered tracks before the train leaves.
You'd possibly have to either go down track 5 and then up in one of the older concourses and back down, though, as the new corridor has no access to Tracks 1-4.
 #1444621  by SecaucusJunction

You'd walk through the new corridor to the older station and board there.
 #1444623  by N91566

Will the name "Pennsylvania Station" or "Penn Station" remain or cease to exist?
I would guess that most folks today using the station if asked, have no idea why it is called Penn Station.
 #1444630  by time

EuroStar wrote:LIRR cannot move out of the existing station -- the new Moynihan hall will not have the capacity to handle all LIRR commuters. In theory Amtrak could move completely to Moynihan, but I doubt it. It is unlikely that the real estate developers will be willing to cede sufficient space in the Moynihan hall for all of Amtrak's crew and support spaces. Eventually, maybe next century (sorry, can't resist the sarcasm) NJT will extend the central corridor to the low numbered tracks providing a couple of more exit points per platform. Other than that, I am not aware of any improvements (including expansion) of the NJT spaces at Penn Station that are being discussed or looked at actively for the next 20-25 years.
There was the proposal to relocate MSG, utilize it's frame for a glass shell and then open up the entire rats den to sunlight and high ceilings. That would require relocating MSG first. I have yet to see a proposal for the relocation of MSG that would be palatable to the owners. It's a killer location - and location is everything.
 #1444676  by EuroStar

time wrote:There was the proposal to relocate MSG, utilize it's frame for a glass shell and then open up the entire rats den to sunlight and high ceilings. That would require relocating MSG first. I have yet to see a proposal for the relocation of MSG that would be palatable to the owners. It's a killer location - and location is everything.
Yes, there have been many proposals and that was one of them. The most realistic one in terms of cost was to remove the theater under MSG while leaving MSG itself in place. Even that was so expensive that Cuomo shelved it without much consideration. The only thing NJT related that is being worked on (conceptual planning and design) is the extension of the Central Corridor. I believe the LIRR is supposed to get some sort of update to its waiting areas too as part of Cuomo's updates to Penn Station, but the extent and the details of those are beyond my current knowledge and paygrade.
 #1445319  by JeffersonLeeEng

N91566 wrote:Will the name "Pennsylvania Station" or "Penn Station" remain or cease to exist?
I would guess that most folks today using the station if asked, have no idea why it is called Penn Station.
Because it's across the street from the Hotel Pennsylvania? :P
 #1445416  by Backshophoss

It will always be called Penn station,no matter who runs the station complex
 #1467866  by TDowling

This should be a marked improvement over what is there now, but my generation can only imagine what it was like to walk through the original station. Luckily, some good photos and documentaries exist detailing the gargantuan masterpiece.
 #1473337  by electricron

New York state is not happy with Amtrak, its landlord at Penn Station.
The railroad is planning to redevelop the Penn Station concourse it will leave behind once it crosses Eighth Avenue to take up residence at the James A. Farley Post Office building, a project known as Moynihan Station. Amtrak's effort, the state argues, interferes with its own efforts to improve the much maligned station.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-yor ... ion-428828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Golly, MTA must think they own Penn Station and not Amtrak. What gives them the right to dictate to Amtrak what Amtrak should do with it?
 #1473570  by Jeff Smith

electricron wrote:SNIP: Golly, MTA must think they own Penn Station and not Amtrak. What gives them the right to dictate to Amtrak what Amtrak should do with it?
Il duce:
Attachments:
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 3597 times
 #1473617  by jamesinclair

electricron wrote: Golly, MTA must think they own Penn Station and not Amtrak. What gives them the right to dictate to Amtrak what Amtrak should do with it?
It could be in Amtraks best interest to turn their existing waiting areas into retail and make money off that.

But it is in the best interest of NJT and LIRR customers for that space to be reworked into better circulation and open customer use.

Amtrak should not be allowed to act in a way that helps them at the expense of everyone else.