Railroad Forums 

• CSX mainline flooded near Utica - July 2017

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1436719  by rls62

I heard that the CSX mainline near Utica is flooded and one of the tracks is closed. If anyone out there can add more info about this, I'd appreciate it.
 #1436734  by tree68

They got hit with a LOT of rain and there was a significant amount of flooding. Pictures abound of cars floating on the Arterial. That it might have affected the Chicago Line would not surprise me.

But that's all I've got for you.
 #1436764  by lvrr325

Based on the places that flooded I would presume just west of Utica, probably in Oriskany, along River Street, that area has flooded before in these kind of conditions.
 #1436800  by twropr

On Sat. night the 1st I heard a freight crew tell Amtrak #49 that there was water over the tracks west o CP 239. #49 was held in UCA for about 4 hrs.
Andy
 #1436841  by tree68

Utica is MP 237, for those who aren't familiar with that area.
 #1436870  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:CP-239 must be the crossover behind the former Fastrac location along 5A.
I believe you're right.

It's how MA&N's Rome trains get back into the Utica yard, among other things.
 #1436881  by Matt Langworthy

The Albany Division dispatcher did note the flooding, but CSX was able to get some traffic through the Utica area on Monday night (7/3). I saw 4 trains at Chili Jct in Riga, including Amtrak and 2 auto rack freights- which would have had to pass through Utica.
 #1436884  by ut-1

Here's a video I took showing the Sauquoit Creek floodwaters cresting in Utica on July 1st. Farther downstream, CSX crosses the Sauquoit (which then joins-up with the Mohawk River in Whitestown not far from the CSX main).

To my knowledge, the NYS&W didn't sustain much, if any, damage (NYS&W's Utica line runs along the Sauquoit creek from S Utica to Paris).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf-J24l0_bI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1436887  by Noel Weaver

This is an outstanding piece of work. I'll bet the T V stations don't have anything that good. Thanks for sharing with us.
Noel Weaver
 #1438070  by litz

Believe it or not, you can still traverse flooded tracks (presuming the structure is not compromised) at a limited speed, up to a certain point ...

Like 5mph, and 4" over the trackhead. It's in the operational rules, and locomotive manuals.

The concern is sucking water into the traction motors through the air ventilation system.
 #1438091  by tree68

litz wrote:The concern is sucking water into the traction motors through the air ventilation system.
I've always been under the impression that air for the traction motors came from within the carbody.

That said, unless the motors are completely sealed, water will find it's way in...
 #1438376  by sd80mac

litz wrote:Believe it or not, you can still traverse flooded tracks (presuming the structure is not compromised) at a limited speed, up to a certain point ...

Like 5mph, and 4" over the trackhead. It's in the operational rules, and locomotive manuals.

The concern is sucking water into the traction motors through the air ventilation system.
Has been done... Amtrak and conrail crawled through flood section west of Newark. about a mile west of OMID connection
 #1438395  by litz

There's some interesting reading here :

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/manual.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For instance, let's take one very popular model used on many railroads, the SD40-2 ...

Section 3-21 "Running Through Water"

RUNNING THROUGH WATER

Under ABSOLUTELY NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the locomotive be operated through water deep enough to touch the bottom of the traction motors. Water any deeper than 3" above the rail is likely to cause traction motor damage.

When passing through any water on the rails, exercise every precaution under such circumstances and always go very slowly, never exceeding 2 to 3 MPH.