Railroad Forums 

• Black River & W. affiliate to replace M&E ops Morris County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1436769  by Angus202

Anyone catch the planned hi-rail inspection on Saturday? Made several stops along the Chester, HB, and D&R branches from 10-Noon, unable to detect any activity.

Aside from the the "Begin M&E Rlwy" sign removed at Lake Jct (MP41.4), ownership appeared unchanged with all of M&E's relics stored around the property including an SW, Geep, couple of ex-Amtrak baggage cars, and a string of badly vandalized ex-NJT comets. The M&E however, has removed advertisement of service over these branches on their website (though the 'about M&E' section continues to elude to servicing them.)

With the NJT trainsets laying over in Dover yard, was unable to find the recent SWs shipped there either.

Is the first train still expected to run on Wednesday 7/5 down the D&R?
 #1436851  by blockline4180

The 2 Black River SW1500 were at East Dover yard on Friday, but don't know if they were moved to Lake Junction yet.
And yes, first day of service is slated for tomorrow 7/5. However, I dont know what time they are on duty.
 #1436926  by cjvrr

They ran at 8am on Wednesday July 5th on the D&R.

Got word that they did spot a car down the High Bridge Branch for Triumph Plastic on 7/3

This afternoon 7/5 they ran the Chester Branch.

Call times will be 8am Mon-Wed-Fri and as needed. D&R to start then Chester / High Bridge Branches afterward.
 #1437331  by bk77

Looks like the new railroad already gained a new customer on the D&R in Dover as there is an NS gon spotted on the branch next to a metal recycling company along Richards Ave. I don't ever recall the M&E having any customers on the D&R other than at the end of the branch in Rockaway.
 #1437357  by blockline4180

ccutler wrote:Nice work! I always wondered why that recycler wasn't a customer.
Interesting as I never knew there was a siding there...Or do they just leave it on the main until the next work day?
 #1437371  by bk77

blockline4180 wrote:
ccutler wrote:Nice work! I always wondered why that recycler wasn't a customer.
Interesting as I never knew there was a siding there...Or do they just leave it on the main until the next work day?
No siding per google satellite. Looking up from Mercer St. yesterday I saw it spotted on the "main", and in back of the recycling company while driving down Richards Ave.
 #1437508  by SemperFidelis

A number of modern crane and loader designs have built in scales. That is how a lot of coal and aggregate operators load without nearby scales.

I have never been charged by the cube by a railroad. It is always by the carload, whether that car be full or half empty.
 #1437516  by cjvrr

The metal recycler had shipped one or two cars with M&E before the change in operators.

Yes, they leave the cars on the main to load.

Good question on weighing the car.

Will say I believe this is the only customer that is currently 'originating' cars. All other customers are loads in / empties out.
 #1437583  by pdtrains

SemperFidelis wrote:A number of modern crane and loader designs have built in scales. That is how a lot of coal and aggregate operators load without nearby scales.

I have never been charged by the cube by a railroad. It is always by the carload, whether that car be full or half empty.

Well, uh....by the carload is kinda what I mean by "by the cube" . I mean there are a few times when a car will gross out before it bulks out...but for the most part...whatever the cars cubic capacity is, is what ur paying for. No one would ever try to measure the dimensions of a freight car load. "By the carload" is a better way of saying it tho.

Not that it really matters