Railroad Forums 

• Beesley's Point Future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1434193  by Sotheast PA Railfan

Just so you all are aware. It sounds like a 502 is out loading in Western PA for a run to Beesleys Point. CA-51 supposedly is running to Tuckahoe today probably for an inspection to the plant. As it looks now 502 will probably run this wknd.

Good luck!

Ben
 #1434249  by pumpers

Stocking up on coal just before the big heat wave next week (which probably will mean business for the power plant). I heard it runs only a few days/year, but the electricity price on those days is high enough to make it worth it keeping the plant around. JS
 #1434327  by Sotheast PA Railfan

Yes probably is the case. 502 just so you all are aware is on the West Slope somewhere on the Pittsburgh Line. Hearing rumors NS 4002 ***Might*** be leading it. I will update when I get more info.
 #1434430  by bluedash2

As seen on a Facebook post, it ran very early Saturday morning. As with a lot of stuff going on anymore, the poster admitted he kept it to himself when it was going on (which he told SE Pa in his post). Which we all know it was payback to the other members for them not telling him about the move made by 51 a couple of weeks ago bringing the Budd car and the F units from Winslow. He made it known then how mad he was. This is what goes on around here.
 #1434437  by liftedjeep

bluedash2 wrote:As seen on a Facebook post, it ran very early Saturday morning. As with a lot of stuff going on anymore, the poster admitted he kept it to himself when it was going on (which he told SE Pa in his post). Which we all know it was payback to the other members for them not telling him about the move made by 51 a couple of weeks ago bringing the Budd car and the F units from Winslow. He made it known then how mad he was. This is what goes on around here.
Without getting into which foamers give heads ups and which ones don't because honestly it's really not that big of a deal, and this certainly isnt the appropriate thread for that. But to my knowledge, a 502 HAS NOT run to Beesley's Point. All of that nonsense posting above, was just that!
Ben
 #1434458  by Ken W2KB

pumpers wrote:Stocking up on coal just before the big heat wave next week (which probably will mean business for the power plant). I heard it runs only a few days/year, but the electricity price on those days is high enough to make it worth it keeping the plant around. JS
Energy price to some extent, but mostly the capacity payment. http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... rconn.html
 #1434705  by R&DB

With the current administrations attitude about coal vs thr previous administration, is it possible we may see more?
 #1434728  by rr503

I doubt it. Despite the raving of politicos, the decline in coal was really much more the result of NG economics rather than regulation. It's just easier to win elections blaming someone -- not something -- for such a reality.
 #1434966  by Ken W2KB

R&DB wrote:With the current administrations attitude about coal vs thr previous administration, is it possible we may see more?
No, coal will continue to be displaced by natural gas as the latter is far less expensive in several aspects. For example, PSEG Power, LLC, New Jersey's largest electric generating company, a few weeks ago announced that it was about to close its last two coal fired generating stations in New Jersey, Mercer and Hudson. Both are very large facilities and the company only a few years ago had spent well over a billion dollars installing state of the art emissions control equipment on these coal units making them among the cleanest in the world. Despite that investment natural gas is so less expensive in both fuel and O&M that the decision to close was necessary.
 #1435024  by R&DB

Thanks Ken. It is just more fun to watch coal go by in rail cars than to watch gas in a pipeline.
 #1435084  by Ken W2KB

R&DB wrote:Thanks Ken. It is just more fun to watch coal go by in rail cars than to watch gas in a pipeline.
I know it well. :-) Grew up in Bayonne and in the 60's would see the long CRRNJ coal drags bringing anthracite from Pennsylvania to the coal dumper in Jersey City.
 #1436018  by bluedash2

I don't like to be like this but I suspect this whole 502 thing is a hoax. Given the local populatarity of this train, not a word has been said for days now which is highly unusual for this train. Again, just my opinion.
 #1436334  by JimBoylan

Radio news reports from about a week ago mentioned that coal production in the U.S. of A. increased in the last 3 months, apparently because of a slight increase in natural gas prices that caused some power plants to find that it was cheaper to burn coal. No specific locations were mentioned.
 #1436402  by bluedash2

Word has gotten around that there's a switch at the plant that needs to be fixed before the train can go in the plant. Haven't heard if the switch has been fixed yet, but I was told the train is still parked at Altoona awaiting the switch repairs. We shall see.....