Railroad Forums 

• Belle Mead General Depot

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#766945  by pierrerabbit

Google Maps still shows the track and the connection. Go to Maps and type in Flagtown NJ. Long ago there was a long passing siding next to the Lehigh Line (south of the main) where the "Y" at the north end of the branch connected. I grew up in Flagtown, we spent alot of time as kids down by the tracks.

pete
 #766946  by Kaback9

dlagrua wrote:
Jim yes you are correct the old LV Line is now CSX. Now for the spur coming into the depot from the North I assumed that it was the old CRNJ Flemington Branch as this line appeared closer to it than the NS tracks. The ROW crosses Amwell Rd, then So Branch Rd and I don't know where it headed from there but the two lines were close. You're probably right about where that spur connected to the main line.
No the old Lehigh is now Norfolk Southern's LEHIGH Line.
 #769026  by carajul

I read online somewhere that 500,000 tons of freight was moved into that place DAILY during WWII and 'Nam. After gov't downsizing it was razed. It was actually a self contained town at one point with housing for employees. The spur that comes of CSX (former RDG) is still in place but nothings moved over it for 20+ years. It used to connect as a wye to the mainline. There are signs that say "tracks out of service" over Rt 206 xing. I have no idea why the spur is still there and connected to the main. There is nothing left to serve. All the warehouses are torn down and it's just grassland.

Take a look at historicaerials and you'll be amazed at the trackage!
 #769246  by pumpers

carajul wrote: I have no idea why the spur is still there and connected to the main.
The spur comes off the south end of a long siding next to the CSX main, and there is still a very active customer off of that siding
(Reckitt Benckiser?) that gets tank cars - they are sometimes stored on the siding.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qrdm7s ... vl=1&sty=b
JS
 #770796  by carajul

Closer inspection reveals that the wye is somewhat in tact. The south leg track is still there and then just ends at the woods. Also appears as though the rails in the depot are torn up but all the ties still remain. Very interesting. Just imagine the carloads that place used to get. And it tapped 2 mainlines.
 #770805  by R36 Combine Coach

pumpers wrote:
carajul wrote: The spur comes off the south end of a long siding next to the CSX main, and there is still a very active customer off of that siding
(Reckitt Benckiser?) that gets tank cars - they are sometimes stored on the siding.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qrdm7s ... vl=1&sty=b
JS
Reckitt Benckiser in Belle Meade produces Lysol and Air Wick air fresheners. Reckitt's North American headquarters are in Parsippany.
 #905573  by afboone

Drove up 206 this weekend, looks like the track on the depot side of the 206 has been removed. The switches on the track side are still there.
 #910814  by JADes718

All the track, ties, and ballast were removed and taken off site, as part of the clean up. Work finished up right before all the snow. They are putting out a contract in the spring for removal of the asphalt, and the remaining concrete foundations. The rumor is after that they will start engineering phase for the new park. I saw the plans something like 10 ball fields, a bounch of tennis courts and basketball courts and something like 2 miles of hiking trails.
 #979012  by Firefig

Me and my friends just decided to start exploring the now (seemingly) abandoned Belle Mead General Depot in Hillsborough. We've found some strange things, and were wondering what else was there. If anybody could shed some light on this place, it'd be great.
 #979987  by CJPat

You are probably best off using the advanced search feature and the words Belle Meade depot. There have been a few specific threads on this subject which you can dig up and peruse for the info you are looking for. I know there have been discussions as far back as 2006.
 #1426200  by tdipaul

In the past 2 weeks there has been brush cleared off of the ROW that served the depot from the north. No idea why this is occurring (maybe for a gas line?)

The following pics were taken at E. Mountain Road.

Looking South, towards the depot:

(wonder when a train last rolled on these rails?)

Looking North, towards the wye at the (now) NS main line:

#1426702  by tdipaul

Yes, they are clearing the entire ROW from the wye all the way to Amwell. The rest of the ROW south was cleared of brush and rail ~2005

Looking north:

south:

At Amwell

looking north (tracks are still intact, just out of view and to the left)

south towards the depot entrance

Last edited by tdipaul on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.