Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1415295  by NYSW2300

Most Railroad projects are done at a snails pace.
Here are, just a few, things that still need to be completed.

1. Build or reconfigure an interchange somewhere in Lakehurst. This could be on the Conrail side, but most likely on the NJSL side.
2. rebuild the loop at Woodmancie, or build a passing siding there to stage loads/empties.
3. Conrail will need to clear its line from South Lakewood to Lakehurst, a distance of 5.5 miles. ( the crossing at Whitesville rd needs repair also)
4. Ballast and Tamp the approaches to the RT 539 crossing.

We would all be guessing what kind of service Clayton is looking at/for. Do they plan on unit trains or loose loading.
 #1415841  by David

RailsEast wrote: (Moderator David, if I win this pool, I expect a fully paid membership to Railroad.Net for the remainder of my years...)
Chris

LOL---Trains? Soon , Soon.
 #1425490  by CNWMAN

In looking at Historic Aerials views of the Clayton sandpit location, it shows that the loop and major activity there came in the mid 1970's ( the 1972 view shows no loop ) or early 80s....what was happening in NJ back then that supported the construction of the loop and the sand shipments?
 #1425505  by liftedjeep

Per the West Jersey Chapter publication "The Trail of the Blue Comet":

"The sand business grew during the revival of construction in the late seventies. After another slump in the recession of 1980-82, traffic recovered during the building boom of the mid-eighties. In the summer of 1986, Conrail sold the Southern main line between Lakehurst and Woodmansie to the Clayton Sand & Gravel Company"......"The line went into operation in the third week of September 1988 as the Pine Belt Railway, using two GP-9s which were stored at the Clayton sand pit."
Ben
 #1425706  by SemperFidelis

I recall, somewhere in the most ancient archives of railroad.net, written upon a scroll, it was said that much sand from Woodmansie was used when the Meadowlands were being filled in. I do not know if that is true or not.

I just heard from one of the guys at CMSL, so they are all still alive and kicking. Didn't ask about progress, but it was nice to hear from them all the same. If anyone here has reason to work with CMSL, I think you will find they are really nice people and very dedicated to what they do.
 #1425855  by Ken W2KB

baju wrote:From nj transit forum...trump axed the gateway program. I wonder if this will have any effect on sand hauling out of woodmansie?
There are no details in the Presidential action that are specific to Gateway, and in any event, the action was simply the initial proposal for a budget. Congress horse trading is yet to occur. Also, Gateway was not funded, construction would be at least 2 or 3 years away even if funded, so unlikely that will impact near-term usage of the refurbished line.
 #1425858  by SemperFidelis

Sadly, in our hyper partisan, post fact world, I fear that a tunnel connecting one rather strong Democratic state with another isn't going to be too high on the horse trading list.

I would imagine, desperately needing some sort of "win" (as though our country's future was a game...c'est la vie) it would be easier for the President to kill the project as an example of cutting the (take your pick) waste, pork, deficit yada yada yada.

I hope this is not the case. I still believe, even though I really don't like the man, that President Trump has to know that better access is the key to continued growth and prosperity in Manhattan.

Back to CMSL...I think (emphasis on think, not know) they have other plans for the sand, but I am not sure if they want those plans aired in public.
 #1426179  by Ken W2KB

Consider attending the United Railroad Historical Society of New Jersey, Inc. ("URHS") Spring event at CMSL.

The URHS annual South Jersey Rail Fest fundraiser will take place on May 6 in Tuckahoe, NJ on the Cape May Seashore Lines. Look forward to train rides, loco­motive cab tours, vendors, speeder rides, and a night photo shoot. More info soon to come! Mark your calendars!

http://urhs.org/images/South-Jersey-Rai ... melzer.jpg

http://urhs.org/