Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1423002  by GirlOnTheTrain

Now now, I appreciate the history lessons! :)
It would be more useful to extend service to New Milford before stringing wire but we know our dear friend Gail just won't let electrification go....
 #1423068  by NaugyRR

Speaking of New Milford, if (and this is a big theoretical if) service was extended north, how would layovers be handled? Would trains deadhead back to Danbury for storage?
 #1423080  by Jeff Smith

He who knows all things Danbury (cough, Dutch, cough) knows better, but as I recall, there was a siding track at the station at one point. Not sure if the station track was on the main, or a siding. While it would be useful for turning, there are no servicing facilities there (fuel, cleaning, etc.), and I'm sure New Milford wouldn't want a diesel there idling all night. Danbury has the storage, so.....

How did they handle it at Dover Plains before the Wassaic extension? I know there were one or two storage tracks... Wassaic solved that with a new yard in the middle of nowhere.
 #1423083  by NaugyRR

It's been a long time since I've been to New Milford (like back when Lenny used to cut my hair at the barbershop across from the station, and going to the station for super cool Christmas train displays long), but if memory serves me right, I believe there is a siding there, but whether it's active/connected ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As far as how things were handled pre-Wassaic, I have no idea. I was only 9 when the extension opened, and didn't start riding the trains until a few years afterwards. Another question for our experienced resident railroaders. I want to say that trains were stored in Dover based on some pictures I've seen on Emily's Harlem Line site, but I'm not totally confident on that. Didn't some trains run up to Tenmile River prior to the Wassaic extension? I could see them deadheading back to Dover for storage, but deadhead trains from Dover back to Brewster seems like a long haul.

Before I drag this too far off topic, in a perfect world where the HRRC plays nice, has there been any interest from the folks in Kent in Danbury service? I'm sure most are perfectly content driving over the hill to Wingdale/Dover/Wassaic, but wasn't there some big hooplah when that McGinnis P32 pulled into town however long ago?
Last edited by NaugyRR on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1423091  by GirlOnTheTrain

I went to one of the meetings for the Housy does passenger nonsense in Falls Village a couple years ago and someone in a position of authority in Kent basically said that they had no interest in service running through town because everyone crosses the state line to the Harlem line and will continue to do so.
 #1423095  by Jeff Smith

I've read that in the Housy passenger thread, too. It only really makes sense to New Milford for intrastate commuters (Danbury/Merritt/SoNo/Stamford). Until CtDOT buys that 15 miles (they own the rest of the Berkshire n. of New Milford already) between NM and Danbury, and fix it up for 59mph (Class IV?) nada happens. Shame.
 #1423096  by NaugyRR

It is a shame, traffic on 7 suuuuccckkksss at times, especially around the 84 interchange. I'm at the point where I'd rather go 22 to 202 to get to Danbury than deal with 7. I think having commuter rail to New Milford would at least alleviate that a little bit.
 #1423110  by Noel Weaver

A couple of items here;
Harlem trains to and from Dover Plains did not tie up there but were deadheaded or operated back to Put. Jct. to tie up. When they extended the line to Wassaic it changed things a bit, they built a lay up yard there and today the trains tie up at Wassaic.
At New Milford the main track was/maybe still is next to the station and platform. I don't think they could lay up overnight at New Milford with NIMBY problems and probably a huge expense to create a suitable facility. Having said that, I think a commuter extension to New Milford is an excellent idea, this part of Connecticut has shown some growth and could continue to grow if it has adequate transportation. Probably it would not cost any more to extend the commuter service to New Milford than it would to expand US-7 which is a nightmare through this area. Connecticut can't afford everything that they need but in this case passenger service to New Milford would be an improvement over the "cowpath" that represents US-7 through this area. We'll have to study and talk more about it before anything worthwhile happens though.
Noel Weaver
 #1423130  by DutchRailnut

Noel I suggest you take a trip up to New Milford and look at what super 7 and improved 7 looks like to New Milford.(lets just say its a friggin big wide cow path)

Now on other hand on your way back check what is left of HHRC and specially the bridges and abutments .
it will take many many millions of $$ just to support old bridges, add to that a signal system, platforms, parking lots, and a layover yard.
Deadheading trains from Danbury would not be an option.
 #1423280  by DutchRailnut

on single track it would take single train about 15 minutes to reach New milford, then change ends and 19 minutes back with stops , not enough time for next rush hour train.
plus add the over 30 minutes to jobs already being close to 16 hours with rest.
 #1423339  by F-line to Dudley via Park

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:Now now, I appreciate the history lessons! :)
It would be more useful to extend service to New Milford before stringing wire but we know our dear friend Gail just won't let electrification go....
Danbury-New Milford is tougher than Norwalk-Danbury for electrification because the Maybrook + Berkshire overlaps are Plate F (17 ft.) freight clearance routes. That means they'd have to clear a bunch of overpasses for 19'6". 25 kV clearance is +2'6" over the tallest car clearance, and even though Danbury is a proposed 12.5 kV electrification chained off an upgraded New Haven Line substation @ Dock Yard the initial build would have to follow new-construction guidelines in case 50 years worth of future NEC upgrades end up shearing off the main vs. branch power sources. The extra clearance work ends up a blowout cost item when there's just enough overpasses that have already been undercut and retrofitted to their limit since the NYNH&H days to cram Plate F through there.

End result is you get a binary choice:
-- Electrify some/all of the existing branch but not New Milford because it's too big a reach to do it all. Meaning +2-3 stops to New Milford either have to get served on a completely different diesel schedule at much poorer service levels, or not at all.
-- Build the New Milford extension as diesel and shelve electrification of any of the rest of the branch for another generation. And if/when electrification picked back up, furthest it can go is Danbury because of the cost premium of modding all those extra overpass clearances...meaning the branch service must be dense enough at that point for electric vs. diesel service layering to not hurt New Milford's headways or cause undue tension for managing equipment pools. Because you must assume that DAN-NM electrification has to be a much later Phase 2 that re-charges the piggybank for all those overpass clearances, and is too much a reach to do in one shot.

This doesn't end up a very hard choice. Super 7 traffic suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, so demand to a New Milford extension has long been self-evident. The branch's schedules are gimpy, so whether any short-turn layering to Merritt or Danbury is in the mix to beef up headways on all/parts of it...the baseline for covering a New Milford extension is going to be no less than a straight-on extension of a much better end-to-end schedule. Since frequency improvements are far and away most important overall to this corridor, by all practical measures that means the additional service layering has to be well-established before you can realistically segment electric trainsets to Merritt or Danbury vs. diesel trainsets to New Milford without hurting the diesel outliers' service levels. Realistically, sharp service layering of that sort doesn't get established overnight...so it's going to take another 2 decades of constant ratcheting-up of frequencies before service levels are fleshed-out to a point where they can support 2 equipment pools on layered schedules where frequencies for those pools/schedules aren't at constant odds and friction with each other. And then a whole sustained generation of flush layered schedules before the funding pool is recharged enough to mount an electrification extension to NM that tackles all the overpass clearance work.

For that reason...NM extension with generous end-to-end service increases is the easiest first step to an end goal of service that eventually throws a denser-frequency service layer on the inner stops, diversifies it enough to support Danbury electrification, then sustains it long enough to recharge funding for a Phase 2 NM electrification. You're talking like a 30+ year stepped-out sequence of non-sexy improvements before everyone Norwalk to New Milford gets a ride on a shiny EMU. No instant gratification when delivering frequencies to the masses is the thing that matters over eye candy.

And yes, I agree that when MNRR orders its MLV coaches that perception of quality (or lackthereof) will change among riders. Two scenarios: (1) CDOT eats all its MLV options and Waterbury/Danbury get state of art P-P consists. (2) The MLV's are an MTA-only order for Hudson/Harlem, CDOT buys up all the MTA's Shoreliner IV's and half its Shoreliner III's for displacement of all Shoreliner I/II and Mafersa coaches to stretch its dollar with a much larger intrastate equipment pool, sends the III/IV's through a full midlife overhaul, and all intrastate diesel routes go over to like-new reman flats. Either way the creature comforts get an enormous upgrade over the current Shoreliner I/II toilet bowls and decidedly utilitarian Shoreliner III/IV & Mafersa experience.
 #1423449  by Backshophoss

There needs to be a "house cleaning", as in HRRC needs to leave the Danbury area,allow P&W to take over the remaining freight
customers,and reopen the Maybrook line to Derby Jct.
As it is now,as long as HRRC controls the trackage at Danbury(Maybrook side) there will not be MN expansion to New Milford! :(
 #1423464  by DutchRailnut

since state did not want the Danbury cluster when Gonerail left, they can not now claim eminent domain.
and unless Hanlon wants to sell point would be moot.
 #1423507  by Gilbert B Norman

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: Super 7 traffic suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, so demand to a New Milford extension has long been self-evident.
Mr. F-Line's captioned thought is so indicative of what I have held through this and related topics about the site.

Isn't it funny how the upgrade of US7 to Interstate highway standards stops right smack at the Fairfield-Litchfield county line?

Last June on a Sunday after Reunion at SKS was adjourned, I did drive from Rocky River Inn - about a mile N of the 7-202 Junction - to Greenwich. At that time, 7 was free of traffic, so I will accept Mr. F-Line's contention that it's a nightmare during rush hours. Somehow I'll bet that Northbound, there has been "a rear-ender or two" at the county line.

Why sixty years ago "sleepy, bucolic New Milford" went on its industrial development binge when other communities within the county "wanted no part of it" escapes me. They got the industry to come likely on the "campaign promise" of improved highways and even mass transportation beyond bus lines.

Litchfield County "back in my day" was a transportation wasteland - nothing much has changed since leaving SKS fifty six years ago - and I'd dare say fifty six years from now, nothing will have changed.

So again I note, that this is the environment into which any transportation improvement being proposed must face.