Railroad Forums 

• Beesley's Point Future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1396719  by glennk419

Probably no surprise but the plant is online today. Crank up that A/C! :-)
 #1421739  by glennk419

The Pinelands Commission today voted to approve construction of the natural gas pipeline to B.L. England. While additional appeals and court action are expected, this once again does not bode well for the Beesley Secondary.

Fair use quote: The 15-member New Jersey Pinelands Commission voted to approve a plan by South Jersey Gas to run the pipeline through the federally protected Pinelands preserve

Full Story: http://6abc.com/news/hotly-contested-nj ... d/1771013/
 #1421831  by Rustygunz60

In this case the environmentalists concerned about the pinelands and those concerned with preserving local freight traffic are on the same side. You can thank our governor for re-stacking the Pinelands Commission membership so the pipeline vote would go the way he desired, after it was defeated during a previous Commission vote.
 #1421931  by Ken W2KB

Rustygunz60 wrote:In this case the environmentalists concerned about the pinelands and those concerned with preserving local freight traffic are on the same side. You can thank our governor for re-stacking the Pinelands Commission membership so the pipeline vote would go the way he desired, after it was defeated during a previous Commission vote.
The pipeline is to be built mostly in the shoulder of existing paved roads and the rest in long cleared rights of way. Not a single pine tree will suffer harm from the pipeline. The generating station will be permanently closed if the natural gas pipeline is not built. The economics in the wholesale electric market in the area are favorable only to natural gas generation. So either way, Beasley's Point track will have no customers.
 #1429357  by washj33

Anybody know if trains have gone down past Tuckahoe at all recently, or has the power plant shut down for good or for conversion already?
 #1429458  by Sotheast PA Railfan

Per various articles it is staying Coal powered till 2019 when the Pipeline is supposed to be complete then they will go from there. It seems though if the weather does get warm and the plant is running they may get a few more before 2019. Seems though since their last 502 they got was in August 2016 I'd imagine there Coal Pile is getting low.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... rconn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1432189  by bluedash2

washj33 wrote:Anybody know if trains have gone down past Tuckahoe at all recently, or has the power plant shut down for good or for conversion already?
Nothing since last August
 #1433074  by glennk419

Sotheast PA Railfan wrote:By chance anyone hear about a 502 running down to the Beach today?
If that "sighting" was based on someone hearing horns, CMSL ran trains for Richland Days on Saturday. I now wonder if 51's trip south on Thursday was to shine the rails for the passenger runs.
 #1433108  by bluedash2

Actually since it's been almost a year since the last train, they would have to shine the rails all the way to the plant as they have done in the past. I did not see 51 that evening they returned from Tuck so I don't know if they brought back stored cars or not. Also keep in mind a lot of the local fan community that are on groups like to keep reports to themselves anymore due to mainly petty personality conflicts.
 #1433806  by bluedash2

Sotheast PA Railfan wrote:Yeah I hear you. Some of these Railfans act nuts when it comes to stuff like this. If people would all help each other out and not be a bunch of idiots this whole hobby would be a lot better.
SE Pa- you have no idea how out of control it's become. I left all of this area's groups because of it. Too many fans, especially the younger ones, have become extremely evil, sneaky and self centered. They all know everything that goes on and share what they feel like sharing because they don't get that every group has bad members and they let the majority of good pay for it. Coupled with the fact that there's a lot of them with shady histories (including criminal histories) in their own life in these groups - if you know what I mean. It's very sad what the railfan world has become. I shudder to think what will happen to the community the day the last of the old fans pass away. The bottom line is the community today is inundated with tons of lowlife trash. It's scary......