Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1407586  by frankie

You'll probably need to take the Holiday Local stopping at every station for the return trip! LOL
 #1407655  by MACTRAXX

nyandw wrote:And the return trip?
Steve: Good observation about this train...

More then likely riders are going to be issued "Individual Return" tickets valid on any eastbound Ronkonkoma train for 12/3 only...

The ticket price for the special is less then $10 more then a regular off-peak round trip between
Penn Station and Ronkonkoma ($26.50) which may be a tip-off that this special nonstop trip is
only to operate westbound...

This train may be very interesting to ride to see how it is decorated for the holidays and which
dual-mode trainset gets the honor: Will it be one of the four "eight sets" assigned to Speonk
and Port Jefferson (two each in through Penn Station service) or the four/five car Oyster Bay
through train? It will be also interesting to trainspot remembering that the train has the option
of operating in the E mode for the entire trip for this special run...

My guess is the train assignment/number of cars will be determined by how advance ticket
sales turn out to be - another thought not mentioned would be to sell tickets at Ronkonkoma
on the day of the trip to fill space on board for those interested that can not commit to an
advanced reservation in advance (the cut-off date is 11/22) again depending on sales...

MACTRAXX
 #1407681  by bellstbarn

Considering that people have different habits of how much time to spend in mid-Manhattan, I think it's smart to make this one-way westbound.
 #1407689  by Amtrak7

MACTRAXX wrote:
nyandw wrote:And the return trip?
Steve: Good observation about this train...

More then likely riders are going to be issued "Individual Return" tickets valid on any eastbound Ronkonkoma train for 12/3 only...

The ticket price for the special is less then $10 more then a regular off-peak round trip between
Penn Station and Ronkonkoma ($26.50) which may be a tip-off that this special nonstop trip is
only to operate westbound...
I don't think there will be any individual return tickets. The special fare is $21 more than the off peak one way fare Ronkonkoma to Penn, and $21 happens to be the Reserve Car seat charge. (it's the same $21 on the Cannonballs)

I wonder what equipment will be used. There aren't enough Hampton Reserve cars w/ numbered seats to make a full length DM set. The Friday night disposition of the large DM sets is 2 in Pt Jeff, 1 in Speonk, and 1 in Jamaica off 2710.
 #1407789  by Amtrak7

As of this afternoon (Friday 11/4), the train is sold out.
 #1407972  by Steamboat Willie

Not at all surprised the train was sold out. Lots of Railroads across the country run holiday trains, such as the "Polar Express."

For those roads that run the special excursions they usually generate a healthy amount of revenue. Recently, I had a conversation with a Class 2 freight carrier in the Northeast that runs excursions year round and said the winter trains amount for over half their annual excursion revenue, which is close to half a million dollars.

Nothing to sneeze about.
 #1408136  by 4behind2

Up until electrification to KO, an organization in Greenport chartered a train for Christmas shopping in NYC. The equipment went to GY in the wee hours of the morning,and back that night.

When one considers the the sellouts of the vintage subway and buses which the MTA operates at various times of the year (and perhaps at a small profit), perhaps this would open the door to vintage "turn back the clock" LIRR excursions, provided the groups which own said equipment could find a way to do so................................................................
 #1408497  by li7039

Any particular reason why it would run in E mode the entire journey? Just to avoid the potential oh sh*t it doesn't want to change modes problem?