Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1354414  by Tommy Meehan

Below is a scan from Electric Division employee timetable 8B issued April 19, 1908. New Haven trains (marked with a 'Y' in the heading) show no stops in the Bronx. I can't post the entire timetable but none of the New Haven trains show Bronx stops. Also, though two of the four NYNH&H trains shown here stop at 125th Street, most of the New Haven trains do not show stops at 125th Street.

I think you might surmise that at some point in time someone saw this ETT, or one like it, and not being familiar with employee timetables, saw the time given at Woodlawn and thought that meant the trains stopped there. Of course if you are familiar with ETTs you know that stops are denoted by the letter 's' and the times at Woodlawn are passing times.
 #1354709  by checkthedoorlight

Really is a shame that more New Haven line trains don't make a Bronx stop. There is a BIG market for people traveling between the Bronx and Connecticut, myself one of them. Work on CP 109 is supposed to start up again in November, after that more "red trains" should be able to at least make a Fordham stop. It would be nice if they made Botanical Garden as well......

Once the New Haven lines start running via the Hell Gate, are they gonna restrict "inner-city travel" on those trains as well? Like will it be impossible to take a train from Hunts Point to Penn Station?
 #1354717  by Ridgefielder

checkthedoorlight wrote:Once the New Haven lines start running via the Hell Gate, are they gonna restrict "inner-city travel" on those trains as well? Like will it be impossible to take a train from Hunts Point to Penn Station?
No way. One of the big selling points of MN Hell Gate service is improved transit links between the East Bronx and Midtown. Both the Governor and the Bronx Borough President have been on the record discussing this.

Besides that's not really a valid comparison. By my count there 46 weekday inbound Harlem Division trains that make the stop at Fordham-- you can get on any one of those to go to GCT. The only ones you CAN'T take are the New Haven Line ones making a receive outbound/discharge inbound station stop.
 #1399988  by Yellowspoon

I'm coming to NYC to attend a wedding at Fordham and Botanical Gardens. If I want to get to Fordham, must I take a Harlem train? May I take a Stamford local? Although the timetables show staggered times, the New Haven timetable shows that Stamford-bound trains stop at Fordham to receive passengers only. I assume this is because conductors don't start collecting tickets until after Fordham. What happens if I attempt to alight at Fordham?

And on a related note, do people ride from GCT to 125th without paying a fare because the conductor has not started to collect tickets.
 #1399994  by Backshophoss

With Fordham a recieve only stop for New Haven line trains,the stop will not be announced.
You will be better off grabbing a Harlem local at North White Plains or White Plains.
The converse is you will not be able to board a New Haven Line train at Fordham to get back to Stamford. :( :(
Check with the MN ticket office at Stamford for better info. :wink:
 #1399996  by GirlOnTheTrain

If you board an inbound New Haven line train at Fordham and are caught you will be charged from the last stop the train made...which could be Stamford if it's one of the New Haven expresses that stop there...the reverse is true if you're trying to ride an outbound New Haven train to Fordham...I wouldn't get too presumptuous with when the conductors lift tickets...I've been on outbounds where the conductors start as soon as they come out of the portal at 97th Street...and onboard fare penalties hurt.

Ride the Harlem line to/from Fordham and take the 4 or 5 a whopping 3 stops to/from GCT if you're trying to get to 125 from GCT or vice versa.
 #1400002  by Backshophoss

From Boston,Amtrak to Penn station,get on a "B" or "D" subway northward to Fordham Road or Kingsbridge Road
in the Bronx,if you are headed to the Bronx Botanical Gardens.
To get back home,take a"B" or "D" subway back to 34th street/Penn station to board Amtrak.
Skip transfering at Stamford to MN.

Are you headed to the Bronx Botanical Garden or New York Botanical Garden in Manhattan for this wedding?
 #1400008  by 7express

I think the reason the NH trains only discharge (New York bound) and receive (Connecticut bound) is when the Boston & New Haven and Penn Central combined the Central didn't want the Boston & New Haven "stealing" their customers. I know it's something like that but don't know the entire story. If you board a New Haven line train you'll get charged going to Mt. Vernon (the first stop scheduled to discharge passengers) so just stick to the Harlem line.

As for people riding from 125th to GCT it's perfectly legal on Hudson & Harlem locals. I've never seen anyone do it, but it's allowed. Once again I don't know the full story, but I heard like 5 or 6 years ago the reason for that was due to professors at Columbia University. Whether that's the reason or not who knows, but I'm sure somebody does.
 #1400044  by truck6018

7express wrote:I think the reason the NH trains only discharge (New York bound) and receive (Connecticut bound) is when the Boston & New Haven and Penn Central combined the Central didn't want the Boston & New Haven "stealing" their customers. I know it's something like that but don't know the entire story. If you board a New Haven line train you'll get charged going to Mt. Vernon (the first stop scheduled to discharge passengers) so just stick to the Harlem line.
It has to do with $$$. If you have a GCT - Fordham ticket, NY is getting the money. If you ride on a New Haven Line train, Connecticut is not getting there money for the ride.

You will only get charged to Mt Vernon if that is the next or previous stop. Example: train 1347 west bound train, the stop prior to Fordham is Stamford. If you got on this train at Fordham to go to GCT, you would rightfully get charged from Stamford.
 #1400101  by GirlOnTheTrain

Backshophoss wrote:From Boston,Amtrak to Penn station,get on a "B" or "D" subway northward to Fordham Road or Kingsbridge Road
in the Bronx,if you are headed to the Bronx Botanical Gardens.
To get back home,take a"B" or "D" subway back to 34th street/Penn station to board Amtrak.
Skip transfering at Stamford to MN.
Be advised that it's a good 15 minute walk from Fordham on the IND Subway to the Botanical Garden. I would suggest walking from Bedford Park Boulevard...it's quite a bit shorter...from the south end of the station head east down Bedford Park Boulevard past Webster Avenue...straight ahead will be a pedestrian entrance for the Botanical Garden...and you end up right by the Haupt Conservatory and whatnot.
 #1400103  by DutchRailnut

or you could just take Harlem line train and pay correct fare .......... just sayinn...
 #1400107  by TomNelligan

7express wrote:I think the reason the NH trains only discharge (New York bound) and receive (Connecticut bound) is when the Boston & New Haven and Penn Central combined the Central didn't want the Boston & New Haven "stealing" their customers.
The correct formal corporate name of the pre-merger New Haven RR was the New York, New Haven & Hartford.
 #1400119  by Backshophoss

Was trying to find the closest station to MN's Fordham station,it would be a miracle to get a New Haven line train to stop
at Botanical Gardens station. :wink:
The "clone" map at subway.org is not as clear as the real MTA subway map. :wink:
 #1400137  by runningwithscalpels

Heh, I used to have to transfer at Fordham for a Harlem local for the 1 stop ride...not a walk I liked to make at night by myself whilst the other half was still at work when I was coming to visit him...always wanted to do a tuck and roll when we went by BG since I'd always have to wait about 15 minutes for the northbound Harlem train to show up after getting off my inbound NH line train. ;)

Mind you, I was coming from Naugatuck. That was generally a 3 train slog unless I took the evening train whose mainline connection actually made Fordham without a transfer at Stamford.
 #1400203  by MACTRAXX

Backshophoss wrote:With Fordham a recieve only stop for New Haven line trains,the stop will not be announced.
You will be better off grabbing a Harlem local at North White Plains or White Plains.
The converse is you will not be able to board a New Haven Line train at Fordham to get back to Stamford. :( :(
Check with the MN ticket office at Stamford for better info. :wink:
YS, BSH and Everyone:

Clarifying this subject - New Haven Line trains bound for GCT stopping at Fordham discharge passengers only;
New Haven Line trains stopping at Fordham to NH Line points north/east stop there to receive passengers.

To travel between GCT and Fordham one must use a Harlem Line train making East Bronx local stops - more then likely a NWP Local...

Fares (from a current Metro North fare chart) between GCT/Harlem 125th and Fordham are:

Zone 1-between GCT and Harlem 125th only-Station Fare: $7.75 Peak; $5.75 Off Peak; On-Board fares: $14 Peak; $12 Off Peak
Zone 2-between GCT and East Bronx stations as far as Wakefield-Station Fare: $8.75 Peak; $6.50 Off Peak; On-Board fares: $15 Peak; $13 Off Peak.
Zone 2 fares also cover the West Bronx stations on the Hudson Line up to Riverdale to and from Harlem-125th and GCT...

On Saturdays and Sundays travel between Zones 1 and 2 are also covered by the $4.25 City Ticket One Way fare...
City Tickets are only available as station fares - and the full on-board off peak one way fare is charged to those without station fare -
meaning a $8.75 penalty without a City Ticket between Zones 1-2 which is one of the highest MNCR charges...

City Tickets are NOT valid on New Haven Line trains between GCT, Harlem-125th and Fordham. They are for use on Harlem Line trains only...

YS:

Make sure that you have a ticket in your possession before boarding your train. Each train crew is different as to how they collect fares as some
may wait until after Harlem-125th - but others may begin literally right after the train leaves GCT. Why take a chance on a unnecessary expensive
penalty charge when there is no need to?

MACTRAXX