Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Fare and Availability Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1366025  by Jeff Smith

Michigan fares discounted: The Times Herald
Amtrak is offering a 20 percent discount on fares for certain trains through March 31.

Travelers can get tickets for as low as $24.80, each way, for the Chicago to Grand Rapids train and the Chicago to Port Huron train, and $28 for the Chicago to Detroit train.

Amtrak is partnering with the Pure Michigan Snow Day campaign to encourage travelers to stop at routes in Michigan to enjoy various events and attractions.

To receive the discount, apply Amtrak fare code: V441, for Michigan trains.

Some blackout dates apply and tickets are non-refundable.

For more information go to https://www.amtrak.com/deals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1373177  by Jeff Smith

Hoosier State sales promotion: Hoosier State Facebook Page
Kids Ride FREE with each adult ticket purchased on the Hoosier State Train now through May 31! Use code: V416
In case you can't read the fine print: Advertising Terms and Conditions

THIS OFFER IS VALID FOR 30PCT OFF THE REGULAR FULL ADULT RAIL FARE. THIS OFFER IS VALID FOR SALE BETWEEN 10FEB16- 28MAY16 AND VALID FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN 13FEB16- 31MAY16. ADVANCE RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED A MINIMUM OF (3) DAYS PRIOR TO TRAVEL. UP TO 2 CHILDREN AGES (2-12) MAY ACCOMPANY EACH ADULT AT HALF THE REGULAR FULL ADULT RAIL FARE. THIS OFFER IS VALID FOR TRAVEL ON THE HOOSIER STATE. SEATING IS LIMITED; SEATS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE ON ALL DAYS. FARES ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. THIS OFFER IS VALID FOR COACH SEATS; UPGRADE TO BUSINESS CLASS IS AVAILABLE UPON FULL PAYMENT OF ACCOMMODATION CHARGES. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCOUNT RESTRICTIONS; THIS OFFER IS ALSO SUBJECT TO ANY RESTRICTIONS, BLACKOUTS, AND REFUND RULES THAT APPLY TO THE TYPE OF FARE PURCHASED. FARES, ROUTES AND SCHEDULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. ONCE TRAVEL HAS BEGUN; NO CHANGES TO THE ITINERARY ARE PERMITTED. THIS OFFER IS NOT COMBINABLE WITH ANY OTHER DISCOUNT OFFER. PLEASE REFER TO DISCOUNT CODE V805. AMTRAK AND HOOSIER STATE ARE REGISTERED SERVICE MARKS OF THE NATIONAL RAILROAD PASSENGER CORPORATION.
 #1375368  by CP-4070

Dear all,

maybe I can get some proposals from frequent, or let's say experienced, Amtrak riders:

I am using the Multi-City function on amtrak.com to book my journeys in May 2016. My problem is, that I will need 5 sections for my plans. At the moment, my plan consists of:

1. New York - New Orleans on the Crescent
2. New Orleans - LA on the Sunset Limited
3. LA - Portland on the Coast Starlight
4. Portland - New York on the Empire Builder and Lake Shore Limited.

Now the problem is Chicago, where I would like to spend one night. I only have the 4 segments available, which forces me to select Portland - Chicago as the 4th segment. That only allows dwelling time in Chicago of some hours. Furthermore, I also want to stay some days at all of the other stops. What are my chances now of bringing in one day in Chicago? I know that the USA Rail Pass is available but I would like to go in a roomette, which is not covered by the USA Rail Pass. By the way, does anybody know about the cost on top of the Rail Pass if one goes roomette?
Buying an extra ticket from Chicago to New York would also end in a (much) higher price.

Thank you very much for your answers!

BR, Andrew
 #1375389  by JimBoylan

Using the Mutil-City feature a few moments ago for a May 15, 2016 departure from Portland, Ore. to New York, N.Y., I see that the cheapest through fare is the Saver for $186 via the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore Limited. Of course, this does not allow a stopover anywhere, or a stay in Chicago any longer than to change trains. To stay longer in Chicago requires paying $227, the same as if you bought separate tickets at $142 and $85 that cost more in total than the through fare.
 #1377158  by theseaandalifesaver

As both a railfan and a person who thinks train is the most comfortable form of long-distance public transportation to travel by, I'm so unreasonably annoyed when it costs the same, and sometimes LESS, to fly to NYC from Boston than to take the Amtrak.

Also, $107.00 for the 13 hour train to Richmond, VA from Boston vs. a $68.00 flight?

Would really enjoy the train ride but these prices are absolutely insane.
 #1518671  by farecard

Query re: changing reservations on day of travel...

I'll be taking a BOS-WAS Northeast Regional on a September weekday afternoon.
I don't want to arrive at Union Station when the Red Line is closed.
So that means 137 departing at 1315, or 67 departing at 2130.

If I buy a seat on 137 but fall behind schedule, will I be able to change (before 1315)
to 67 without paying ~~3X as much as the $79 fare?
 #1518739  by bratkinson

farecard wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 pm Query re: changing reservations on day of travel...
If I buy a seat on 137 but fall behind schedule, will I be able to change (before 1315)
to 67 without paying ~~3X as much as the $79 fare?
As I understand the current Amtrak pricing, any changes or modifications to your ticket will be made at the then-current price for your 'new' train or accomodation. So, as can be expected, changing tickets on the day of travel will definitely cost you some big bucks, as it appears that your $79 dollar 'saver' fare isn't offered withing 2 weeks of travel, even if they haven't sold out the number of tickets at that price. And if you decide to simply cancel the ticket and rebook some other time or other train, you'll be hit with a penalty fee as well.
 #1599364  by farecard

[Here becauseI found no threads about mainline NEC travel issues....]

So I need WAS-NYP on the 23rd.
I've already learned that the Saver fare is refundable, Value is not, & Flexible is.

I'm left wondering: Am I better on a NE Regional or the Vermonter, etc? Why [not]?

On such a short trip I don't care about diners, etc.
 #1601212  by Rbts Stn

Planning a BOS to NYC trip (one way) over Thanksgiving weekend for two of us. Expected fares to be high, they really aren't that bad.

$115/each for all the NE Regionals (all 0-10% full).
$277/each for Acelas for all but two trips that are offering $58 Business Saver fares. Is this real? The times aren't as good for us as the NE Regional, so we likely won't be able to take advantage
 #1624535  by Jeff Smith

Flash sale on Acela BC and FC: https://media.amtrak.com/2023/06/acela- ... lash-sale/

Range for BC is $29-$49; FC still ain't cheap at $124-$199

https://www.amtrak.com/Acela-Summer-Sale
Book now through June 28 for travel June 30 - September 4, 2023.