Railroad Forums 

• Beesley's Point Future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1346859  by bluedash2

Wingnut wrote:The coal burning at the power plant is living on borrowed time. When it finally does end, will there be enough non-coal business to support keeping the line in service, even if they have to lower the speed to 10 mph?
Why would the speed be lowered? CA-51 has been going to Tuckahoe on a fairly regular basis and they need every bit of that 25mph. Coal trains rarely run now so it would only be the abandonment past Tuckahoe which is the B.P. Industrial Track. The line other than the last part to the plant isn't going anywhere as 51 runs all 5 days from M-F. There's still enough service on it.
 #1346860  by bluedash2

Add to that the line is the only connection to interchange with SRNJ at Winslow Jct which also receives unit stone trains.
 #1346918  by glennk419

The plant has been online for the last few days. We may actually get a coal train one of these days although with the price these days, you'd think they'd be burning oil.
 #1347029  by Jason

A work train was parked in Folsom on Tuesday (9/1) heading south.
 #1347207  by bluedash2

glennk419 wrote:The plant has been online for the last few days. We may actually get a coal train one of these days although with the price these days, you'd think they'd be burning oil.
They can't burn oil anymore can they?
 #1347216  by rr503

Didn't they ship oil in by train?
I've seen videos of trains going down the line with tank cars.
 #1347348  by glennk419

bluedash2 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:The plant has been online for the last few days. We may actually get a coal train one of these days although with the price these days, you'd think they'd be burning oil.
I was of the impression that the oil fired units were going to outlive the coal fired one(s). I thought that one of the coal fired units had already been permanently shut down.

Do I have that backwards?
 #1347353  by Ken W2KB

glennk419 wrote:
bluedash2 wrote:
I was of the impression that the oil fired units were going to outlive the coal fired one(s). I thought that one of the coal fired units had already been permanently shut down.

Do I have that backwards?
Coal-fired unit 1 was deactivated. Units 2 (coal), 3 (residual oil) and 4 (diesels) are still in "must offer" status in the 2015-2016 PJM RTO generation capacity mix. The diesels (only 8 MW if I recall correctly) were to be deactivated in 2015 but were extended due to reliability concerns in the area. The consent order with NJDEP is valid for operation through 2017 (if I recall correctly) after which time the units must be deactivated or converted to natural gas. Based on recent developments, the conversion to natural gas is expected to occur.
 #1347506  by bluedash2

rr503 wrote:Didn't they ship oil in by train?
I've seen videos of trains going down the line with tank cars.
They haven't burned oil for several years now. The tanks on the line now are LPG tanks that go to CMSL for storage.
 #1347671  by Ken W2KB

Here's an extensive recent (this past May) analysis of the reliability and environmental issues with regard to the generating station. http://www.state.nj.us/pinelands/SJG%20 ... -21-15.pdf Search for "railroad" to see why a "long abandoned and reforested" right of way was deemed not appropriate for the pipeline.
 #1353944  by glennk419

For whatever reason, on a warm autumn evening, that plant is online tonight.
 #1353957  by Ken W2KB

glennk419 wrote:For whatever reason, on a warm autumn evening, that plant is online tonight.
Shoulder period between the summer and winter peak periods. Lots of generation is out for routine maintenance so other units are loaded to ensure reliability. Early fall and late spring are the routine maintenance periods for generating units.
 #1354004  by glennk419

Ken W2KB wrote:
glennk419 wrote:For whatever reason, on a warm autumn evening, that plant is online tonight.
Shoulder period between the summer and winter peak periods. Lots of generation is out for routine maintenance so other units are loaded to ensure reliability. Early fall and late spring are the routine maintenance periods for generating units.
Thanks Ken. That makes sense.
 #1354992  by bluedash2

There is a coal train at the plant. It ran last week and the power came back up Saturday evening. A UP loco led 2 NS units coming back up.