Railroad Forums 

• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1264938  by Regardie

Fan Railer wrote:Easter day railfanning at Westfield Station on the RVL; seems like they still have a PL42AC floating around incase the 45s are shopped or something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kM02i1ZHBs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look closely you can see the first piece of a string of three welded replacement rail that have been there for several weeks on the Westbound track. The new (or old? I don't know which) rails start just East of the Westfield Station and continue West toward Fanwood. I have been thinking about asking if anyone knew what was going on there, setting up for replacement, or already done and waiting to be picked up.

Regardie
 #1289656  by Rahway-valley-Alex

Spotted the "geometry train" sitting on the third track back in early July, sorry not for posting sooner but I thought some of you would be interested. Can't really add much info because this is the first I've ever head of the locomotive! :P

Flickr:
https://flic.kr/p/oDiEja
 #1314159  by Train2009

Train #5520 had a single level set this afternoon as seen in Union, NJ, this had Comet V Cab Car #6035 and ALP45 #4514.
 #1315228  by trainzrok

MM92 went to Raritan Thursday night with 5 engines. 4205-4112-4200-4120-4119. 4205 was dropped in the engine house, and 4202 was brought back east with the rest of the power. Not sure why they had that much power, but it was a cool site for sure.
 #1315265  by ACeInTheHole

trainzrok wrote:MM92 went to Raritan Thursday night with 5 engines. 4205-4112-4200-4120-4119. 4205 was dropped in the engine house, and 4202 was brought back east with the rest of the power. Not sure why they had that much power, but it was a cool site for sure.
Axle count most likely. Anything less than 16 axles and they have to operate at a restricted speed. Still funny that they used all that power to swap one Geep for another.
 #1322689  by Regardie

Regardie wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:Easter day railfanning at Westfield Station on the RVL; seems like they still have a PL42AC floating around incase the 45s are shopped or something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kM02i1ZHBs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look closely you can see the first piece of a string of three welded replacement rail that have been there for several weeks on the Westbound track. The new (or old? I don't know which) rails start just East of the Westfield Station and continue West toward Fanwood. I have been thinking about asking if anyone knew what was going on there, setting up for replacement, or already done and waiting to be picked up.

Regardie
Replying to myself... it's very quiet here.

So those three lengths of rail spent the summer, fall and winter right where they dropped them. Last week, on Tuesday, ST. Patrick's Day, I saw a work train headed West from Fanwood with a partially filled welded rail transport consist. On Thursday I saw what they were about, it seems the original three lengths have been joined by another 11 or so, running from just East of Cranford, through Garwood and Westfield, ending just East of Fanwood on the outbound side. They have also dropped one side worth of new plates on the ties around the Westfield station.

Oddly enough, it looks like the new rail has a taller profile than the installed rail, but I have only seen it from inside a coach on my way inbound, so it could be the angles playing tricks on me.

Regardie
 #1326293  by Electrify the RVL!

Hello folks... just wanted to observe that I've taken the first RVL out of NYP in the evening (5198, departs 8:48 p.m.) a few times and it seems to be pretty popular (although not every car is open). The train really fills up at Newark. It took me a few trips before I stopped automatically getting up to change trains at Newark and reaching for my rail pass when the conductor comes through after we depart!
 #1334183  by CentralValleyRail

Was on the 8:48pm yesterday out of NYP to High Bridge the train was practically empty and most of us who were on it got off at Secaucus.... Makes you wonder how much of this was politically fueled.
 #1334187  by ACeInTheHole

CentralValleyRail wrote:Was on the 8:48pm yesterday out of NYP to High Bridge the train was practically empty and most of us who were on it got off at Secaucus.... Makes you wonder how much of this was politically fueled.
Doesnt exactly tell you much about the trains ridership when you get off after one stop, and the stop before a major one.
 #1334287  by CentralValleyRail

ACeInTheHole wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:Was on the 8:48pm yesterday out of NYP to High Bridge the train was practically empty and most of us who were on it got off at Secaucus.... Makes you wonder how much of this was politically fueled.
Doesnt exactly tell you much about the trains ridership when you get off after one stop, and the stop before a major one.
Hmm. When the point is to extend service between NEW YORK and NEWARK and no one gets on in New York doesn't that defeat the purpose. Who cares who gets on in Newark, that's existing service.
 #1334503  by Ken W2KB

Conductor on the RVL told me today that the reason that some single level equipment is now running on the RVL is that train sets were swapped with Coast Line sets for the summer one seat NYP-Bay Head service.
 #1336256  by trainzrok

Ken W2KB wrote:Conductor on the RVL told me today that the reason that some single level equipment is now running on the RVL is that train sets were swapped with Coast Line sets for the summer one seat NYP-Bay Head service.

That set was still running around at of yesterday. 4000-4029, looked like 7 cars, 5026 behind engine, 6042 on east end. 5714-5733.
 #1340374  by nick11a

FYI, 5733 had two PL42ACs tonight (4025 and I think 4000), six Comet IIMs/IVs, and a Comet V Cab. The train flew. It arrived at Annandale 11 minutes early.