Railroad Forums 

• RFD-TV

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#26270  by GCarp

I recently stumbled across a new channel on DirecTV called RFD-TV. Yesterday there was a program on called "TRAINS AND LOCOMOTIVES". It appeared to be an on-going series. I went to their website to see when else it is on and it's sprinkled throughout their programming along with another show "I Love Trains". Seems like something to check out. :D http://www.rfd-tv.com/start3.html

#28100  by Joe

"Trains and Locomotives has a mix of different train videos from different train video makers, such as Machines of Iron. Somewhat odd hours, though.

#55268  by ICFAN

RFD-TV also has a program called TRACKSIDE. It is usually on Thursdays at 6pm Central time.

#57579  by Ken W2KB

DishNet has carried RFD TV for some years now. It does have interesting programming such as steam tractor meets, etc.

#131931  by GOLDEN-ARM

Another good program, on RFD is "The Train Show", which shows several times a week, like the other 2 shows. A very railfan friendly channel. You can auto-tune those shows, to turn on every time they are on. SWEET!
 #1286779  by ladder2

I get RFD-TV on Verizon Fios on Ch. 246 on Fiday Nights at midnite till 1 AM for various train tapes. The classic tractor tapes
are on Tuesday at midnite till 1 AM, quite interesting.
 #1289306  by motor

"Trains and Locomotives" was better when it had Jim Boyd's videos from Mark I and also vids from Herron Rail. I guess the broadcast rights to them have expired.

motor
 #1289694  by motor

motor wrote:"Trains and Locomotives" was better when it had Jim Boyd's videos from Mark I and also vids from Herron Rail. I guess the broadcast rights to them have expired.
IMO RFD has jumped the shark in a couple of ways, but that's beyond the scope of this site.

motor
 #1291845  by JhnZ33

One thing that needs to be realized here is that the producers do NOT receive any royalties for the programs aired on RFDTV. The only perceived benefit they receive is exposure. As most know, both Jim Boyd and Marc Balkin (owner of Mark 1) have passed and I do not believe Marc's son is actively seeking to have the Mark 1 programs aired.

I was approached last September by RFDTV to be a "contributing producer", but I declined. I would rather not have the general public recording my full programs from RFDTV free of charge and passing copies onto their friends. I don't think I wouldn't be in business very long if I accepted their offer.

John
 #1300852  by motor

JhnZ33 wrote:One thing that needs to be realized here is that the producers do NOT receive any royalties for the programs aired on RFDTV. The only perceived benefit they receive is exposure. As most know, both Jim Boyd and Marc Balkin (owner of Mark 1) have passed and I do not believe Marc's son is actively seeking to have the Mark 1 programs aired.

I was approached last September by RFDTV to be a "contributing producer", but I declined. I would rather not have the general public recording my full programs from RFDTV free of charge and passing copies onto their friends. I don't think I wouldn't be in business very long if I accepted their offer.

John
I know Boyd is gone. I had no idea about Balkin. When did he die?

motor
 #1302325  by JhnZ33

I believe Balkin passed a few years before Boyd