Interesting consists

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Limited-Clear
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Interesting consists

Post by Limited-Clear » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 am

You do realize it doesn't matter which way the train is turned, the horns gets blown the same amount of times from both ends, when it gets to the end of the line they change ends and then have to sound for the same crossings going back the other way.
The managers in their ivory tower know more and more about less and less, and end up knowing everything about *&$% all

NorthPennLimited
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:15 am

Re: Interesting consists

Post by NorthPennLimited » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Haha.

And the wheels rotate northbound, an equal number of times as the southbound trip?

nomis
Posts: 2154
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 20 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

Re: Interesting consists

Post by nomis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:36 am

Not in leafy season :-)
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.

Limited-Clear
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Interesting consists

Post by Limited-Clear » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 am

Speaking of which it looks like the wash and gel trains are being made ready at Wayne electric, look out for the test runs soon and shortly after the season will be on full swing with the 3 trains out and about each night
The managers in their ivory tower know more and more about less and less, and end up knowing everything about *&$% all

R3 Passenger
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm
Location: Croydon Station, Pennsylvania (Northeast Corridor)

Re: Interesting consists

Post by R3 Passenger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Wire train just went through 30th St upper toward Suburban on Track 2. By what I have seen so far standing here, there are 4 trains in front of it.

And as I stand here typing this, a 4 car SL5 set went by on Track 1 without stopping. Train 5368 is 13 late. What is going on???
Lines Frequented: SEPTA Trenton Line, West Trenton Line, Warminster Line; NJT Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line; Amtrak Northeast Corridor (PHL-NYP).

R3 Passenger
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm
Location: Croydon Station, Pennsylvania (Northeast Corridor)

Re: Interesting consists

Post by R3 Passenger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Image
And then it came back on Track 3 towards Powelton...
Lines Frequented: SEPTA Trenton Line, West Trenton Line, Warminster Line; NJT Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line; Amtrak Northeast Corridor (PHL-NYP).

Limited-Clear
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Interesting consists

Post by Limited-Clear » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:58 am

At the time of day you were there they run a few non revenue runs between yards to get ready for the evening rush hour, the non stop trains in the day are quite common, the wire train usually goes to Elwyn during the day, couldn't tell you why it was on track 2 maybe a shift due to congestion or they needed to work on that track that day, the West Trenton train that comes from Thorndale gets stung by Amtrak running in front of them quite regularly, remember on the Harrisburg line they are at the mercy of Amtrak, would be nice to adjust the running time to give it a better chance of being on time, but then that causes more problems having to find a new slot through Philly, and the spacing on the West Trenton line wouldn't justify running 2 trains so close together
The managers in their ivory tower know more and more about less and less, and end up knowing everything about *&$% all

rslitman
Posts: 904
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: On the West Trenton line

Re: Interesting consists

Post by rslitman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:49 am

On at least 5 of the 6 weekdays between Monday, October 27 and Monday, November 3, inclusive, the first 4 of the 6 cars on train 6321 were 132-131-330-331. Because of my perspective, boarding a late-running 328 in the station at virtually the sane time, I didn't catch the numbers of the last two, but they appeared to be singles with their own pantagraphs.

This is a run that was formerly run with push-pulls. I wonder if this set is stored in such a place where a push-pull was once stored and is taken out twice a day for one rush hour revenue run plus a deadhead as a push-pull would have been.

I also wonder if this has been going on with 6321 for a while now, but I only noticed it this past week because of 328's slippery-rail induced lateness plus the presence of two x31 cars in this consist.
Soon you will need to be in your 60s in order to remember the 60s.

rslitman
Posts: 904
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: On the West Trenton line

Re: Interesting consists

Post by rslitman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:52 am

Limited-Clear wrote:You do realize it doesn't matter which way the train is turned, the horns gets blown the same amount of times from both ends, when it gets to the end of the line they change ends and then have to sound for the same crossings going back the other way.
You're right, of course. I was thinking more about that particular train's situation, in which there were 3 or more cars on the train, so the second outbound car would not become the lead inbound car.
Soon you will need to be in your 60s in order to remember the 60s.

rslitman
Posts: 904
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: On the West Trenton line

Re: Interesting consists

Post by rslitman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:33 am

6321 has now had 415-278-442-441-?-400 for more than a week.
rslitman wrote:On at least 5 of the 6 weekdays between Monday, October 27 and Monday, November 3, inclusive, the first 4 of the 6 cars on train 6321 were 132-131-330-331. Because of my perspective, boarding a late-running 328 in the station at virtually the sane time, I didn't catch the numbers of the last two, but they appeared to be singles with their own pantagraphs.

This is a run that was formerly run with push-pulls. I wonder if this set is stored in such a place where a push-pull was once stored and is taken out twice a day for one rush hour revenue run plus a deadhead as a push-pull would have been.

I also wonder if this has been going on with 6321 for a while now, but I only noticed it this past week because of 328's slippery-rail induced lateness plus the presence of two x31 cars in this consist.
Soon you will need to be in your 60s in order to remember the 60s.

R3 Passenger
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm
Location: Croydon Station, Pennsylvania (Northeast Corridor)

Re: Interesting consists

Post by R3 Passenger » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Silverliner IV 280 is currently leading a 6 car train to Trenton. The kicker? The LED sign above the Engineer's cab window is flashing "TRENTON." We are currently in Suburban Station. Express to Torresdale.
Lines Frequented: SEPTA Trenton Line, West Trenton Line, Warminster Line; NJT Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line; Amtrak Northeast Corridor (PHL-NYP).

Trackseventeen
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:52 am
Location: 12yrs before I was born, the PRR "Red Arrow Flyer" Crashed behind my house.

Re: Interesting consists

Post by Trackseventeen » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:59 am

Don't know how unusual this is, but yesterday while waiting for an inbound local at Downington... I saw a westbound freight train. It passed by at around 2:15 pm on Tuesday the 2nd. It was led by two NS locos. The first cars were loaded gondolas... with what I couldn't tell. The rest of the train was hoppers and tank cars. A red flag sporting caboose brought up the rear. I estimate it's speed to be about 40-45.

My questions are... Is this a regular train? Does NS frequently use AMTRAK west of Frazer? Is it possible that this train used the tracks east of Paoli?
900,000 tons of steel, made to roll
The brakes don't work and this grade's so steep
her engines sure to blow...
900,000 tons of steel, out of control
She's more a roller coaster, than the train I used to know.

khecht
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Philly Area

Re: Interesting consists

Post by khecht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:12 am

Trackseventeen wrote:Don't know how unusual this is, but yesterday while waiting for an inbound local at Downington... I saw a westbound freight train. It passed by at around 2:15 pm on Tuesday the 2nd. It was led by two NS locos. The first cars were loaded gondolas... with what I couldn't tell. The rest of the train was hoppers and tank cars. A red flag sporting caboose brought up the rear. I estimate it's speed to be about 40-45.

My questions are... Is this a regular train? Does NS frequently use AMTRAK west of Frazer? Is it possible that this train used the tracks east of Paoli?
I don't know the current schedule, but NS trains bound for the Trenton Cutoff will use the Keystone Corridor (ex-PRR) main east to GLEN just west of the SEPTA Frazer shops, then go onto the cutoff. They can't use the former Philadelphia & Thorndale low grade freight line in parallel to the active line as that's been abandoned for years. I haven't seen a freight go through Paoli since I was a little kid when Conrail was still running electric freights through there (and on the Trenton Cutoff). Most traffic on the cutoff is east of Norristown, where it intersects the NS Harrisburg line.

Clearfield
Posts: 1980
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:36 pm
Location: Montgomery County, PA

Re: Interesting consists

Post by Clearfield » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:08 am

Late yesterday morning, I spotted a SEPTA Push Pull consist running south out of 30th lower level.
"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".............. Spock

My opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of any organization, Association, or Authority.

NorthPennLimited
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:15 am

Re: Interesting consists

Post by NorthPennLimited » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Regarding car shortages:

If a train is supposed to be 5 or 6 cars, and runs short due to mechanical problems in the yard, can they couple up Silverliner 4's with 5's and run them together? They used to mix the Budds with Silverliner 4's if a train needed extra cars.

They appear to have the same couplers, and the buffer plates seem to be the same height between cars.

I figured there must be a technical reason.

Return to “SEPTA (and PATCO)”