Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1166226  by DutchRailnut

If were gone talk waste and use of crews, lets talk about three days of switching and bringing in private cars and amtrak into GCT for National rail day....
MTA has to waste money just to please a bunch of buffs, As for inspection train its not upto a bunch of buffs to decide or justify its use and existence.
 #1166245  by Clean Cab

You're comparing apples to oranges. The amount of money spent to bring trains into GCT is for a celebration that thousands of people to enjoy is hardly the same as running one private train that RR officials use the inspect their property. National Train Day is a one time expense that is funded seperately from MN's day to day operating budget. Inspection trains operate 10 to 12 times a year and is paid for out of the general operating buget.

I'm not speaking as a buff when it comes to what I consider wasted money, I'm speaking as a former NY State resident and tax payer who has watched the MTA piss away billions of dollars over the last 25 years. The position I take is that of my own opinion. I don't expect all to agree with me.
Last edited by Clean Cab on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1166258  by Tadman

I have to agree with Dutch, the inspection train isn't just for the brass to have a few cocktails aboard. It's a great way to get the politicians out on the railroad and illustrate just what the problems really are (IE we need money for a new station here or a new siding here). Also, I've seen the MNCR health department run an inspection train to ensure their staff gets vaccinated. That's a great idea, because nobody has to leave their post for more than twenty minutes.

PS - anybody have pics of the inside of the inspection train?
 #1166271  by Clean Cab

Tadman wrote:I have to agree with Dutch, the inspection train isn't just for the brass to have a few cocktails aboard. It's a great way to get the politicians out on the railroad and illustrate just what the problems really are (IE we need money for a new station here or a new siding here). Also, I've seen the MNCR health department run an inspection train to ensure their staff gets vaccinated. That's a great idea, because nobody has to leave their post for more than twenty minutes.

PS - anybody have pics of the inside of the inspection train?

Actually, MN did cut out the food and drinks on their inspection trains several years ago. Now all they offer the riders is bottled water amd clean bathrooms. I don't oppose all use of the inspection train. I just get bugged when I used to see it out hauling around RR personel on areas they've travelled many times before.
 #1177778  by expbusop

5:55am today inspection train at Highbridge Yard with #112 on north end and New Haven unit could not get number on south end.
 #1177780  by DutchRailnut

not inspection train, but geometry train.
 #1193493  by Train2009

P32AC-DM #203 had MN1, MN2, MN3 and 2 shoreliner cars out of GCT yesterday afternoon.
 #1223569  by Train2009

User Greg Grice saw the Inspection Train this afternoon at 1:20 PM in White Plains headed southbound with a BL20GH (Unknown Unit #).
Update: It was the Flu Train.
 #1223918  by Train2009

Metro North's Flu train was seen this afternoon at 3:52 PM headed southbound at Botanical Garden with P32AC-DM #216 and #218 and MN2 and MN3 cars as it was coming from a trip on the New Haven line. It had the medical dept staff on board after it went to the outlying New Haven line terminals to give out the flu shots to its Metro North workers.
Last edited by Train2009 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1223936  by DutchRailnut

not inspection train but Flu train, getting shots to those that needed them on New Haven line.
 #1240193  by northjerseybuff

Will MN run an inspection trip in 2014? Will they retire the ex phoebe coaches? I know I ask this every year. One of these years they will be retired!
 #1240247  by DutchRailnut

answering that would be predicting future, as for Phoebe snows. no budget to replace them.