Railroad Forums 

• Delaware & Ulster Railroad (DURR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1217965  by airman00

Otto Vondrak wrote:
airman00 wrote:How is the rebuilding effort by the durr going? I'm curious how far from the cmrr line they are.
From what I understand, the runaround at Highmount is CMRR trackage that is used by DURR by agreement.

-otto-
Well that's interesting thank you. When will this track work to highmount be completed?
 #1220587  by eehiv

http://www.watershedpost.com/2013/train ... -expansion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Train to Pine Hill? Delaware & Ulster Railroad eyes eastward expansion

It's a sound that hasn't been heard on Belleayre for more than a decade: The chug-chug-chug of a railroad engine.

On the brilliant autumn afternoon of Thursday, October 3, the Delaware & Ulster Railroad (DURR), a nonprofit railroad company that runs tourist trains between Arkville and Roxbury, sent one of its trains east from Arkville instead of west. Without much fanfare, the 1962 ALCO RS-36 pulled up to the little wooden platform on Route 28 in Highmount, at the base of the Belleayre Ski Center.
 #1220656  by Otto Vondrak

eehiv wrote:http://www.watershedpost.com/2013/train ... -expansion

It's a sound that hasn't been heard on Belleayre for more than a decade: The chug-chug-chug of a railroad engine.

On the brilliant autumn afternoon of Thursday, October 3, the Delaware & Ulster Railroad (DURR), a nonprofit railroad company that runs tourist trains between Arkville and Roxbury, sent one of its trains east from Arkville instead of west. Without much fanfare, the 1962 ALCO RS-36 pulled up to the little wooden platform on Route 28 in Highmount, at the base of the Belleayre Ski Center.

My favorite quote from County Executive Mike Hein:
"Our focus at this moment, throughout the [Ulster & Delaware] corridor, is connecting the Walkway Over the Hudson to the Ashokan Reservoir via rail trail, and having a rail provider running from Boiceville to Phoenicia," Hein said. "We clearly are open to additional ideas west of Phoenicia."
What he doesn't tell you is that this is part of the track he wants to scrap to close the $650,000 gap in his 2013 budget.

Better quote:
"This is the beginning of the return of rail service to the western end of Ulster County," [DURR's executive director Dave] Riordan said. "We put the cash on the table, now we're putting the locomotive on the mountain."
Congratulations, DURR! I hope you continue to push eastward, no matter what Ulster County says.

-otto-
 #1220758  by jmarino

Otto Vondrak wrote:
eehiv wrote:http://www.watershedpost.com/2013/train ... -expansion

My favorite quote from County Executive Mike Hein:
"Our focus at this moment, throughout the [Ulster & Delaware] corridor, is connecting the Walkway Over the Hudson to the Ashokan Reservoir via rail trail, and having a rail provider running from Boiceville to Phoenicia," Hein said. "We clearly are open to additional ideas west of Phoenicia."
What he doesn't tell you is that this is part of the track he wants to scrap to close the $650,000 gap in his 2013 budget.

Better quote:
"This is the beginning of the return of rail service to the western end of Ulster County," [DURR's executive director Dave] Riordan said. "We put the cash on the table, now we're putting the locomotive on the mountain."
Congratulations, DURR! I hope you continue to push eastward, no matter what Ulster County says.

-otto-
I hope for the same , time will tell Good luck D&U
 #1220766  by airman00

Well I imagine that "locomotive on the mountain" will make the county exec stand up and take notice! :-) With the Durr wanting to push eastward and the Cmrr rebuilding west, the county exec is now getting squeezed in the middle!
 #1274068  by O-6-O

DU doins'
this past weekend a small crew was enjoying a beautiful day on Saturday. Opened Roxbury station for the D&U trains, did a general grounds clean up,fence painting.

Joe and Dave Baker did needed service and repairs to soceity's MT19 and new member Al Favaro joined us for a weed inspection run west on the last mile of intact rail.

Welcome Al. Joe, Dave, Geo Cook and I also finshed the tamping and leveling the new TC setoff and we discussed needed work to ready the grounds for the milkhouse

move that will be done this summer. After a nice lunch in Arkville, Joe,George, Al and I worked on the west end switch relocation project in Fleishmans. We got some

grading and new ties down and my backhoe skills are a work in progress but it was again a great day to be out doin RR stuff.
 #1353964  by BR&P

It does not seem like foliage season would be over already but their web site says "We are closed for the season. DURR will reopen in 2016." There is no mention of power problems specifically, but does say they have had mechanical problems and cites safety as the reason for closing..
 #1354007  by BR&P

This is NOT official and does not come from the railroad, but I'm hearing the RS36 has a couple cracked wheels. I was also told that a crane which was needed to change them out has not gotten there as fast as they were hoping. Also was told - again not official info - the switcher had a bad axle.

Hope they can get things under control. The loss of revenue can be devastating.