Railroad Forums 

• A questing regarding CP's SD30C-ECO rebuild program

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1124723  by Jmusolf

So according to Canadian Railway Observations, CP will be rebuilding the SD40-2F's in addition to the regular SD40-2's to make them more eco friendly. Does anyone know if the SD40-2F's will retain their unique cowl body shape after being rebuilt?

Here is the link to CRO if anyone's interested;

http://www.canadianrailwayobservations. ... 2012cp.htm
 #1142219  by Jmusolf

conrail313 wrote:Any idea when the first SD30ECOs are due out?
CRO said that "One of the first SD30C ECO repower units was been sighted at EMD’s plant in Mayfield, KY. CP 5004 is nearing completion, and should ship before the end of the first week of December 2012. Photos will follow once the locomotive is in the public domain"

So any day now really.
 #1211369  by Jmusolf

Leo_Ames wrote:Doubtful considering the loss in versatility and the fact that even the standard hood units in the program are receiving new bodies.
I agree but you never know with CP. They may just call the new locomotives SD30CF-ECO and have them be the same externally with the cowl body but all eco friendly on the inside. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
 #1238869  by Engineer Spike

I wish that I could take any buff who likes the 9000 series for a ride. A nice July day at about 95 degrees would be perfect. I heard that we only got them because DD was building lots of SD60F models for CN. GM agreed to build more, only with -2 internals. CP might have been better off buying SD45, or early SD40 cores, and having someone rebuild them as SD40-2s, like they had MK do later on.
 #1355351  by JayBee

Jmusolf wrote:Now another question about the SD30s... are they currently being stored? Haven't seen any pictures of them in a while...
They are operating primarily west of Calgary, though once in awhile one will get as far east as Medicine Hat or Moose Jaw.