Railroad Forums 

• URHS of NJ Preservation News

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1216721  by cjvrr

One of the best railroad events I have been to in some time. I loved it and my three boys did too. Plenty of unique photo opportunities and getting to see the inner workings of the F-7 was something my kids will always remember.

Thank you and I look forward to next year's event.

Chris Vitz
 #1216901  by alewifebp

It was a very nice event. The GG-1 looked great, as did the other locos on display. Nice to see what a brand new loco looks like too. First time I've ever been in the NJT-1. That had a very similar configuration to the Braddock Inn that I rode in on the M&E trip.
 #1216908  by Ken S.

alewifebp wrote:It was a very nice event. The GG-1 looked great, as did the other locos on display. Nice to see what a brand new loco looks like too. First time I've ever been in the NJT-1. That had a very similar configuration to the Braddock Inn that I rode in on the M&E trip.
The PRR 1547 and PV Braddock Inn are of the same PRR class.
 #1218647  by OCtrainguy

Here are my photos from the event. I haven't been able to attend any of the prior events due to my son's soccer schedule, but I was able to attend this one and I am glad I could.

DL&W heritage unit
a front view of the DL&W heritage unit
the cab of the DL&W heritage unit
GG1 4877 looking great!
One more of GG1 4877
NJT/DOT E8A 4253
CNJ GP7, my personal favorite, so one more CNJ GP7 Part II
The nose of "Reading" F7A 284 and a side view
CNJ "DeVico" (Glad I was able to tour in the inside)
PRR baggage car
USA Army hospital car
GG1 4879 (Up close, you can still see the Penn Central lettering)

Thanks to the URHS for the open house and to NS for sending the DL&W engine.
 #1221641  by FullScale4Me

FullScale4Me wrote:NOTE: the paragraphs below may have been extracted from blog posts, meeting minutes and newsletters. The brevity below is not to be assumed as the full monthly report on any given topic. Reach out to the delegate for your particular group or railroad interest. Further information and in some cases short Q&A discussions on URHS topics occasionally happen on the URHS of NJ facebook page.
September 2013 URHS News
Transportation Heritage Festival – Clean-up & Prep work needed – NEED VOLUNTEERS from various URHS groups! It is suggested that we should have a minimum of 2 people per group. Everyone [group] needs to let Pete Hasler know by Monday September 16th (with names). Volunteers should arrive by 8 am, event runs from 10 – 4. Pete Hasler urges all URHS groups to send out promotional materials. We have 10 days from today to the event – there is work to be done. Capt. Bill McKelvey will be bringing a pump car and a velocipede to Boonton for display. The URHS approved the usage of PRR Baggage car #9286, NYC Tavern Lounge #43 and the Hickory Creek for the 2013 Toys for Tots trains.

August 2013 URHS News
New paint on the PRR flat car thanks to volunteers Frank Ball, John McCloskey & Taras Terlecky. Kevin Phalon, Larry Gross and others got GG-1 #4877 headlight, marker lights, number boards all lit and all new cab widows installed. Capt. Bill McKelvey's GE 45 Ton was worked on - preparation work before painting. Several track's Bumper Blocks were painted safety yellow. Both Hospital Cars are being prepped for painting to original drab green with proper lettering. The VRA and Sea Land containers were touch-up painted. Yard being worked on getting cleaned up and organized for Festival. Dave Lippencott & others have been busy keeping up on brush and tree control.
Ken_W2KB wrote:With respect to some information being withheld, that would typically be specific information on negotiations for sites, leases, contracts, or legal matters that no prudent organization of any sort would disclose prior to reaching conclusion. These negotiations are generally performed by the officers and/or one or more directors individually or in committee depending on the specifics. To disclose sensitive and confidential information prematurely could severely compromise URHS' endeavors or result in forestalling equipment preservation and site acquisition efforts.

Kenneth D. Brown, Esq. - Vice President & General Counsel URHS - Black River Railroad Historical Trust Delegate
 #1230616  by FullScale4Me

Recent URHS Photo and Video Gallery posts --- no login required - open to all - http://urhs.org/gallery/

Hickory Creek Restoration
"...a copy of the slide presentation that summarized the restoration of this car. Click to enlarge!" More

Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 4877
" GG1 4877 is one of the highlights on the URHS collection. 4877 began its career on the Pennsylvania Railroad in December of 1939. Over the next several decades is served the Pennsylvania, Penn Central, and New Jersey Transit...." More

Other recent Gallery posts imported from facebook (no login required - open to all)

Central Railroad of NJ GP-7 #1524

Reading Railroad F-7a #284

Liberty Historic Railway – General Electric 44ton
 #1287334  by CNJGeep

cnj1524 wrote:Will the URHS be saving any of the NJT Arrow III's
The Arrow cars still have a lot of life left. They're still running! It'll be a long time before they have to begin that process.
 #1287352  by kilroy

CNJGeep wrote:
cnj1524 wrote:Will the URHS be saving any of the NJT Arrow III's
The Arrow cars still have a lot of life left. They're still running! It'll be a long time before they have to begin that process.
That would explain the Arrows sitting in the deadlline in Cranford. LOL
 #1302588  by blockline4180

Fundraising Effort Brings the Last U34CH Delivered to Boonton Yard for Restoration

BOONTON, NJ- With an equipment move funded entirely by donations from rail enthusiasts, the world’s last surviving U34CH, owned by the United Railroad Historical Society, has been delivered to Boonton, NJ for restoration.

http://urhs.org/blog/press-release-fund ... storation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;