Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1187982  by runningwithscalpels

Clean Cab wrote:MN track, C&S and ET crews have been working non stop since Saturday night to get the tracks back in service ASAP. I think we should all give them a "Well Done" for all their efforts.
I concur!
 #1188009  by kitn1mcc

the boro crane and the Little giant operators need big thanks as well they had those machines humming
 #1188020  by DutchRailnut

that would be Burro crane as in a little Donkey.

and thanks go to all involved not just certain operators.
 #1188022  by Clean Cab

I still haven't heard anything official, but speculation is 3 to 5 M8's are totalled. Of those is pair 9310/9311 which had only been in service a couple of weeks.
 #1188028  by runningwithscalpels

I rode 9310 last Sunday on the way to the Parade of Trains. It still had that new train smell. Shame.
 #1188030  by glennk419

Clean Cab wrote:I still haven't heard anything official, but speculation is 3 to 5 M8's are totalled. Of those is pair 9310/9311 which had only been in service a couple of weeks.
Those will be some expensive razor blades if that comes to be. I've seen some pretty amazing reapirs done on cars that one would have considered write-offs so time will tell, especially given their age. I would guess that both train sets are at least quarantined until the NTSB wraps up their investigation?
 #1188032  by Clean Cab

runningwithscalpels wrote:I rode 9310 last Sunday on the way to the Parade of Trains. It still had that new train smell. Shame.

I can only hope that new train smell is a lot better than that old train smell!!!
 #1188034  by Clean Cab

glennk419 wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:I still haven't heard anything official, but speculation is 3 to 5 M8's are totalled. Of those is pair 9310/9311 which had only been in service a couple of weeks.
Those will be some expensive razor blades if that comes to be. I've seen some pretty amazing reapirs done on cars that one would have considered write-offs so time will tell, especially given their age. I would guess that both train sets are at least quarantined until the NTSB wraps up their investigation?
All the damaged M8's will be evaluated by Kawasaki to see if they can be rebuilt. I imagine that most of the cars that do not get rebuilt will be due to frame and sill damage. Just because a car looks good on top doesn't mean their frames aren't smashed or twisted.
 #1188046  by freightguy

Good job all around to every department. All that damage and makeshift repairs made in less than 5 days. To have the line reopened like that is beyond impressive. A lot of managers and craft employees with significant railroad experience still around to make this possible. To any commuter or rail enthusiast viewing this forum what was accomplished in that time frame was no easy feat. The commuters should be commended for being good sports also. Good show!
 #1188080  by kaitoku

Looks like the vultures are starting to swoop in:
Conductors and engineers injured in Friday's Metro-North derailment are preparing a legal battle against the railroad, arguing that faulty track repair and the state-of-the-art $2 million cars that collided could have caused the crash, according to a lawyer who represents them.
http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nation/ ... -1.5310564
 #1188099  by Clean Cab

Maybe they should wait for all the facts are in before filing lawsuits. I imagine quite a few passengers will sue to.
 #1188126  by Tommy Meehan

This morning is the first morning with full service restored. All reports are operations are going very smoothly.

Yesterday with only one track back in service a limited schedule was operated. Metro-North President Howard Permut, Connecticut Department of Transportation Commissioner James P. Redeker and a trainmaster were in the operating cab on 1538, the first train that ran through to New Haven. The train operated on-time.
Babara Munoz, also of Bridgeport, said she was "a little apprehensive" as the train passed beneath the Interstate 95 overpass near Commerce Drive, where two trains collided last week..."I was surprised the repairs were done so quickly," said Munoz, who commutes by train to her human resources job in Manhattan every day. "They've been very diligent. ... They stuck to doing what they had to do."
Link
 #1188132  by Clean Cab

I wish people would stop using the words "Collide/Collided/Collision" to describe this incident. This was a side swipe that involved only 3 of 16 cars, and not a head on crash.
 #1188149  by Freddy

Article talked about a broke joint bar. They don't have that laid with ribbon?