Railroad Forums 

• Beacon Park Tracker

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1144587  by MBTA1016

Didn't know u lived that close Ted. I have a family member that lives close to readville as well. I do agree walpole's yard is great for modeling, plus u have the diamond were the subdivision meets the Franklin line. Readville would be good for modeling, because u have the NEC mainline, the Franklin Line going over the NEC and the csx yard. Back to beacon park.
 #1147766  by agreinhold

I went by Beacon Park yard today and the container operation is completely gone. The engine facility is still very active and there were 3 gondolas and a switching engine in the main yard. Only one track, the south-most, is being used by the MBTA, as evidenced by the uncleared snow.
 #1148315  by Knucklehead

agreinhold wrote:I went by Beacon Park yard today and the container operation is completely gone. The engine facility is still very active and there were 3 gondolas and a switching engine in the main yard. Only one track, the south-most, is being used by the MBTA, as evidenced by the uncleared snow.
Same thing on Saturday morning, however TV1 track was full of bare tables.
 #1148957  by csxb&aconductor

those tables and buckets went west on sun morn on the L113-17,the switcher engine will be gone next week as the yard crews are done on fri,also the engine house will be closed the first week of april. now as for the gondolas the b721 has been leaving a few cars there
 #1149320  by Komarovsky

They're really closing the engine house? I thought that was to remain open for a while longer, since the only other facility like that in the area is in Selkirk.
 #1149408  by Narrowgauger

Komarovsky wrote:They're really closing the engine house? I thought that was to remain open for a while longer, since the only other facility like that in the area is in Selkirk.

So are you saying that the end of Beacon Park is here? What can we expect for freight traffic east of Worcester ?
Ted
 #1149476  by johnpbarlow

Narrowgauger wrote:So are you saying that the end of Beacon Park is here? What can we expect for freight traffic east of Worcester ?
Ted
I believe Q436/437 will still run manifest freight to/from Framingham for parsing up for locals to Everett, Walpole & south, and Leominster. Plus there is a local that runs between Worcester and Framingham.
 #1149529  by CRail

I believe CSX is also trying to get someone to move into the old auto transfer facility in Framingham. And is Nevans still getting the tank cars of corn syrup?
 #1149537  by johnpbarlow

The Staley corn syrup transload facility in Nevins Yard was closed and dismantled a few years ago. I guess all corn syrup transloading on CSX in the Boston metro area is at the Westboro yard.
 #1149577  by Safetee

I recently read a book about the construction of the Mass Pike. The majority of the book is pictures of the utter destruction of the Boston and Albany line which was part of the then glorious plan to build the pike.

And now the final chapter is beign written of the freight derailization of the hub in general and the great Boston and Albany line in particular. I suspect that like the destruction of the Old Colony line which today severely crimps expansion of south shore passenger rail dreams eventually this Beacon Park demise will bite the planners where it hurts when they try to get more passenger trains coming in from the west.
 #1150643  by johnpbarlow

csxb&aconductor wrote:those tables and buckets went west on sun morn on the L113-17,the switcher engine will be gone next week as the yard crews are done on fri,also the engine house will be closed the first week of april. now as for the gondolas the b721 has been leaving a few cars there
How will CSX turn locomotives in Worcester given they have no balloon track or wye? Will CSX have access to P&W's wye? A few years back when CSX delivered multilevels to Framingham, the engines for the train returning empties to the midwest were often turned either because of equipment issues (eg, no working radio on the west facing engine) or because there was only one CSX cab signal equipped locomotive on the in-bound engine set and it was facing east.
 #1150825  by frrc

johnpbarlow wrote:
csxb&aconductor wrote:those tables and buckets went west on sun morn on the L113-17,the switcher engine will be gone next week as the yard crews are done on fri,also the engine house will be closed the first week of april. now as for the gondolas the b721 has been leaving a few cars there
How will CSX turn locomotives in Worcester given they have no balloon track or wye? Will CSX have access to P&W's wye? A few years back when CSX delivered multilevels to Framingham, the engines for the train returning empties to the midwest were often turned either because of equipment issues (eg, no working radio on the west facing engine) or because there was only one CSX cab signal equipped locomotive on the in-bound engine set and it was facing east.
There was some talk about CSX putting in a wye in Worcester yard at some future time. Or CSX could setup the locomotives so one on each end is cab forward.

J
 #1150974  by boatsmate

they are not closing Farmingham, only Becon Park. Framingham still has the WYE. so if an issue arrises they forward the egines to Framingham Wye them and send them back.... nothing ever happens right away that they have to turn the power with in minutes of arriving in Worcester
 #1151685  by Knucklehead

boatsmate wrote:they are not closing Farmingham, only Becon Park. Framingham still has the WYE. so if an issue arrises they forward the egines to Framingham Wye them and send them back.... nothing ever happens right away that they have to turn the power with in minutes of arriving in Worcester
There was also talk last year around this time of dying power on the P&W also, if needed. It can be done there, but basically requires the use of their entire yard (size wise) to do.