Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#114950  by JFB

[quote="R44 5212 A Train"] That the MTA-labeled cars go everywhere except where they're supposed to. [quote]

Why the insistence on what NJT’s "supposed to” do with MN equipment? Because of the markings alone?

The MN cars are in Hoboken to compensate NJT for equipment loss, not to make railfans happy. Where on the system they run is NJT’s prerogative, as long as it keeps within the parameters of the contract.
 #114958  by R44 5212 A Train

MN markings=MN trains. NJT markings=NJT trains. If you don't like that, simply give all trains NJT markings.

#114963  by DutchRailnut

its not a matter off liking, If NY state pays 2.1 million per car for trains to PJ etc, their not gone paint them NJT color.
But since the average car age is same , it does not matter if a NJT set ends up in PJ or a MNCR set runs to whatever.
as long as NJT does not short the PJ line trains or abuse the mileage the MN cars doe on their turf.
I do believe that the Comet V same as Comet IV have a odometer on them so it would be verifyable to see if someone cheated.
 #114970  by R44 5212 A Train

Don't they lease the cars from NJT?
 #114989  by AMoreira81

R44 5212 A Train wrote:Don't they lease the cars from NJT?
No. The markings on the car indicate the owner, New Jersey Transit or the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. This works the same on the New Haven Line. Either a big M or a state shield with a ConnDOT plaque at the B end identifies MTA or ConnDOT cars on the unrehabbed cars. (On the rehabs, it would be found on the front, above Metro-North Railroad. Pac-Man logo, MTA, Connecticut shield, ConnDOT.)

However, the cars are in pool service and theoretically could run to Southeast or Croton-Harmon. However, I may be wrong on this (DutchRailNut or someone else in the know, please confirm or reject this), but Amtrak actually does the maintenance on the NH cars.
 #115001  by roee

AMoreira81 wrote:
However, the cars are in pool service and theoretically could run to Southeast or Croton-Harmon. However, I may be wrong on this (DutchRailNut or someone else in the know, please confirm or reject this), but Amtrak actually does the maintenance on the NH cars.
Maybe on the M2,M4,M6's, but not on the Bomb or Genny's. They service them at Croton for sure, and you see them on the Hudson line quite a bit for that reason.
 #115008  by MN Jim

AMoreira81 wrote:(snip) but Amtrak actually does the maintenance on the NH cars.
Huh?

Metro-North maintains all of the equipment that runs on MNR trains (east of Hudson). No exceptions.

Red cars can run anywhere there's third rail, but 2 things prevent it from actually happening under normal circumstances: (1) CDOT doesn't like it, and (2) we barely have enough red cars in service to run the NH Line service. There's none available to pitch in on the H&H.

Jim
 #115014  by R44 5212 A Train

BUt NH cars usually stay on the NH line...not so with MN cars on NJT. :(

#115020  by DutchRailnut

The New Haven Bomb fleet just runs in pool service on all 3 lines.
so 90 % of time you find 3 Blue trains in Danbury.. and it does not matter other than for railfans, the only thing CDOT cares about that there are X amount of seats available on any line.

The M2/4/6's are maintained in Stamford and New Haven by MNCR personel.
The Bombardier cars all cycle tru Harmon for maintanance.
The SLE equipment is maintained in New Haven in CDOT shop by Amtrak personel, but that may soon change to MNCR too.

#115063  by njtmnrrbuff

All the locomotive hauled trains that operate on the ex-NY central and NH, run all over the place. In fact, I've seen plenty of trains in which they mix up their red and blue shoreliners, and of course the power. Even Shore Line east rolling stock has showed up on the branches especially the Waterbury. I believe Shore Line East trains that continue west of NH run with MN crews. Going across the river to transit, on the Hoboken Division, the MN Vs roam all over that division. Yes, I have seen plenty of MN sets running through my hometown of Upper Montclair. However, transit likes to run all of their Pt. Jervis expresses during rush hour with the MN Vs, in solid sets. During off peak hours and weekends, trains running on the tier tend to use transit cars. On the NWK division, you almost see everything using transit. Once and a while, a set of MN Vswill run on a pony express. There have even been comet Is(high level) on those trains.

#115106  by AMoreira81

I stand corrected on the maintenance issues. And yes, MTA crews man SLE trains west of New Haven.
 #116724  by Silverliner II

MN Jim wrote:
Red cars can run anywhere there's third rail, but 2 things prevent it from actually happening under normal circumstances: (1) CDOT doesn't like it, and (2) we barely have enough red cars in service to run the NH Line service. There's none available to pitch in on the H&H.

Jim

Funny you should mention that. In February, 2004, I spent three hours at 125th Street station doing video of Metro-North trains. It was perhaps three or four days after a snowstorm, and there was still a slight MU shortage. A local train to Croton-Harmon was announced on Track 1, and what to my wondering eyes and video should arrive, but a 4-car set of M2's. Yes, M2's to Harmon.

Snow-related shortage, anyone?
 #118070  by sullivan1985

R44 5212 A Train wrote:Don't they lease the cars from NJT?
No. All Metro-North equiptment on the West-of-Hudson service are owned by Metro-North, but operated by NJT crews out of Hoboken.

Yeah now and then MN equiptment will be in odd spot (I rememeber people saying they had been spotted in Penn Station and the High-Line a few times when they where new), but if you think about it, wether or not a MN car is on a Port Jervis train or not, that train will still run with what ever other equiptment is available. Some times you still get a Metro-North F40, a consist of NJT CV's and a MN CV cab. For each MN car running in a differant spot, an NJT car takes it place.

Like Dutch said before, all the railroad cares about is having seats available for commuters. They dont care about how you would like to see their trains.

O/T a bit: How come MN never got CV's for its own East-of-Husdon service? I know they got all the old CI's and CII's, but never understood whey they didn't get some new CV's too for that side.

#118259  by andy

I don't think Metro-North wants the Comet Vs. They are the source of endless problems because of software problems.

From observation, the Vs run on most any line departing Hoboken, but usually not the NJCL and the RVL. They tend to keep them on the Main/B, PJ/ST and PVL. But when the PVL isn't running (middays), they run those same units up the Main/B lines. I don't think they have enough time to run these units up to PJ and then back to Hoboken in time for the outgoing run on the PVL.

I have more on this at home, and I'll post when I find it.