Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#109743  by metraRI

While looking at Metra's site today, I noticed Burlington Northern Santa Fe was gone on the main pages. It shouldn't be a big suprise as everyone knows about the BNSF name change earlier this year. I wonder if the new logo will make it onto the CBQ cars that Metra does not retire.

#109946  by F40CFan

Seems like a lot of work to scrap off the old and create and apply the new logo. However, some corporate types aren't happy until they've splashed their new creation all over everything.

#110029  by c604.

"Seems like a lot of work to scrap off the old and create and apply the new logo. However, some corporate types aren't happy until they've splashed their new creation all over everything"

They did that when they went from the Burlington Northern B logo to the BNSF circil on the cars.

#110031  by F40CFan

True, but that was before they started mass-retiring the cars. I wonder if its worth it to them.

#110075  by MikeF

For what it's worth, Metra's most recent promotional e-mail, which came out today regarding Good Friday service, refers to the line as "Burlington Northern/Santa Fe."

#110181  by byte

Also for what it's worth, I just got a BNSF yearly shareholder's report in the mail (I got some shares several years ago as a graduation gift) and although it has the new corporate logo on it, it still refers to the company as "Burlington Northern Santa Fe," so I think the name is the same. Metra is probably updating it as "BNSF" because it's a lot shorter than "Burlington Northern Santa Fe," and possibly easier for commuters to remember.

#110187  by Yonge

The railroad changed its name to BNSF, but the corporation that owns the railroad is still Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

#170906  by metraRI

New BNSF logo's have started going on BNSF cars, as I found out today from 7118 which is on SWS.

#170916  by Amtrak31

The new logo looks nice on the Metra cars, IMO.

#170921  by AmtrakFan

Hey next thing we know it will be on the BNSF Stations.

#170928  by Amtrak31

AmtrakFan wrote:Hey next thing we know it will be on the BNSF Stations.
That'd actually look real nice. The new logo looks nice anywhere (some will disagree with me on this one :-D).

#171002  by doepack

I like BNSF's new logo as well, it's quite progressive. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this logo to appear at any of the stations, because Metra has naming rights to all suburban stations along the BNSF (and UP) lines, as provided in the current POS (purchase of service) contract.

#174287  by MetraBNSF

I've seen the new BNSF logo appear mostly on the now-demoted cab cars. I've seen it on 803 and 809.

#174943  by Gilbert B Norman

Today was my first observation of "lightning strikes a 700' series (ex-CB&Q) car.

Sob, Sob.

#174956  by AmtrakFan

MetraBNSF wrote:I've seen the new BNSF logo appear mostly on the now-demoted cab cars. I've seen it on 803 and 809.
742, 748, 768 and 783.