Railroad Forums 

• Any places for reliable older power on CP?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1076584  by train2

In the 80-90s SD40-2s were king on CP, they had so many. As the 3rd generation of diesel buying took hold, I noticed CP (and CN) did not seem to buy newer power in the same volumes as the US roads, but that could simply be a misconception on my part as CP is smaller than a lot of other roads. So as of 2012, are their any significant places on CP were modern GE's don't rule? Can you go anyplace on CP today and see any significant batches of SD40s still on the mainline?

T2
 #1076717  by Ken V

Most of the locals out of Toronto use GP38s or GP9s for power and I expect the situation is similar in the Montreal area. There are a number of belt-pack operated SD40s in use on the hump in the Toronto East (McCowan/Agincourt) Yard.

While most mainline trains on now use GE power, you can still find some using GMDs. The Montreal-Toronto Expressway normally has 3 SD40-2s on the point.

There are a number of SD40s based out of Winnipeg and Calgary so things in western Canada may be different.
 #1103688  by Leo_Ames

amtrakhogger wrote:The D&H?
I'm not out there much, but when I have been, it seems like their safety cab GE's dominate at the front of their trains at places like Rouses Point and Plattsburgh. Modern GE's are all I ever see at the front of mainline trains in Southern Ontario as well.

The only places I've seen older CPR power fairly recently has been on a rail train on CSX (A SD40-2 in Action Red) for some strange reason and GP9 rebuilds on locals in Cornwall Ontario.

Edit - I guess I'm a bit late, I didn't notice this thread was a few months old until after I posted.
 #1103807  by chief

Just received bid sheets for CP locomotives being sold.------SW1200'S---1237,1250,1251,1241,1239 all running
2-GP-40's------4654,4655---major failure's.------------58-SD-90'S--91OO SERIES
17-Boarding cars.
Steve a k a Chief
 #1118419  by wjstix

I've seen some 'CP Rail" SD's working the hump at Pig's Eye yard in St.Paul recently. Unfortunately I'm usually driving by at 60 MPH so haven't been able to record a no. to look up what engine it is, but they appear to be c.1970's SD units.