Railroad Forums 

• Ex-Milwaukee Road "Bandits"?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1076236  by Tadman

Drive out on Green Road in Bensenville, you'll probably see one.
 #1118418  by wjstix

I've seen a "bandit" MP-15 within the last few weeks at Pig's Eye yard southeast of downtown St.Paul MN. There's also still at least one or two MP-15s in Soo Line paint.
 #1197949  by mtuandrew

Saw SOO 4512 (a GP38-2) today, entering Pig's Eye Yard as the second unit of two on a manifest train.

I'm amazed that after 28 years, there are still at least half a dozen patched bandits running around. Honestly, on what other Class 1 are there still a significant number of locomotives painted for a predecessor's predecessor? There aren't any C&O, Frisco, or T&P locomotives in use on a daily basis, only heritage Virginian, Reading, and MKT, and I was under the impression that there were no or next-to-no DRGW units still in their original paint. While as a railfan I think it's great, it makes me wonder just what kind of financial conditions cause the Canadian Pacific group to forego even a standardized public appearance.
 #1203705  by EricL

A "bandit" is currently regular power for G61, a "jack-of-all-trades" local which seems to be roughly a combination of the Sturtevant Patrol and the Watertown Patrol. Catch it while you can.
 #1206841  by theastralcity

Up until sometime last year I saw a bandit MP15AC around the Muskego Yard in Milwaukee, usually at the east end. According to my notes it was Soo 1553. I haven't seen it recently but rrpicturesarchive.net has a shot of it last summer in Minneapolis as well, still in bandit colors next to a shiny newly painted CP one.