Railroad Forums 

• How to become a metro-north engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1045071  by strive-engineer

I know this question has been asked many times but I need my own answers.
I need very descriptive answers and info.

Question#1 What is needed before you even apply for the position?
(Meaning if you have never worked in the MTA at all. Degrees(if so what courseor class should be taken , Any expirience in other areas?)

Question#2 I've been told that I just need to get my foot in the door and work my way up.
(Meaning already working in the system what would need to be done to elevate myself to conductor to engineer or justt straight to the latter.
Question#2A when would you know or when would be a good time to move up to conductor or engineer

Question #3 every application should always have a cover letter right?

Any knowlegde would help really want to work in the Metro north hopefully that wasent to manny questions
 #1045313  by truck6018

There are no required college courses for the position. Everything that is needed for the position is stated in the job posting. It is rare that outsiders will get called for the job. The ongoing requirement for outsiders is to have a locomotive engineer certification from a Class 1 railroad.

Most locomotive engineers with Metro North were hired as something else and they then transferred to the position. In most cases you are required to stay in a craft for one year before going into another craft. I think one or two crafts might be longer than a year.

I would think a cover letter helps. You also need to keep an eye out for the next time they advertise for the position. They last had an advertisement for it less than six months ago. They generally post for the position every 6 to 12 months. Should you decide to go with another position just keep an eye out on the mta website and keep applying until you hear back from them.
 #1045427  by strive-engineer

Thank you so much this really clarifies some things so last question,how would I go about signing up to get my certification from a Class 1 railroad? Is there a website I can go to? Or which class one would be best to go to.
 #1045880  by Otto Vondrak

strive-engineer wrote:Any knowlegde would help really want to work in the Metro north hopefully that wasent to manny questions
A proper grasp of the english language helps, too.
 #1046716  by Amtrak67 of America

Otto Vondrak wrote:
strive-engineer wrote:Any knowlegde would help really want to work in the Metro north hopefully that wasent to manny questions
A proper grasp of the english language helps, too.
Nope... Even that's not a requirement anymore. ;)
 #1046726  by RearOfSignal

strive-engineer wrote:Thank you so much this really clarifies some things so last question,how would I go about signing up to get my certification from a Class 1 railroad? Is there a website I can go to? Or which class one would be best to go to.
Wow, you're kidding right? This is exactly why they don't hire engineers off the street! Becoming a certified locomotive engineer is not like signing up for the 5 hour class to get your driver's license. You'll only become certified if you are hired by a railroad as a locomotive engineer. Class 1 railroad's just don't give out certifications to anyone that signs up for some class. Maybe some miniature railroads let people sign up for a 3 weekend class to run a train on a private road. But MNR is hiring for people who want a job, not just blow the horn and wave out the window on a train. This is exactly why they require you to be a engineer before considering you for the position, it helps to weed out people.

If that's too much for you to take, than maybe this isn't what will be right for you. But if you're willing get your foot in the door on the railroad and work your way up, then maybe there's a chance.
 #1046784  by bill8106

strive-engineer wrote:I know this question has been asked many times but I need my own answers.
I need very descriptive answers and info.

Question#1 What is needed before you even apply for the position?
(Meaning if you have never worked in the MTA at all. Degrees(if so what courseor class should be taken , Any expirience in other areas?)

Question#2 I've been told that I just need to get my foot in the door and work my way up.
(Meaning already working in the system what would need to be done to elevate myself to conductor to engineer or justt straight to the latter.
Question#2A when would you know or when would be a good time to move up to conductor or engineer

Question #3 every application should always have a cover letter right?

Any knowlegde would help really want to work in the Metro north hopefully that wasent to manny questions
Strive-engineer,

Follow the good advice that you've gotten so far and also realize (you probably know this already) that you will need to be patient and persistent to get an entry level job in this economy with Metro-North, either blue or white collar. And while you may not need to have perfect diction to perform the duties of a car cleaner, for example, it is not unreasonable to think that a human resources person, who might be reviewing dozens or even hundreds of applications, will discard the ones that have typos or grammatical errors. Please feel free to contact me off-forum if you would like me to proof read your application and/or resume. Good luck.

Bill

PS - the "e" in English is always upper case, unless we're putting english on a cue ball, which is something entirely different:)
 #1047965  by Otto Vondrak

bill8106 wrote:PS - the "e" in English is always upper case, unless we're putting english on a cue ball, which is something entirely different:)
Touche, Bill. :-)