Railroad Forums 

• Lucaston Paint Works Spur?

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#470920  by JJMDiMunno

Hey guys,
Anyone here have any images of trains on the Lucaston Paint Works spur around Gibbsboro that they'd care to share with myself and the group? I'm looking for a few particularly for personal reference...

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike DiMunno

#473920  by mitch kennedy

I have a great Bob Long aerial shot from the mid 60's that I could scan and post, assuming no one copies it for illicit purposes. The plant shut down in the fall of 1978, but rail shipments were sporadic prior to that-probably only the occasional tank car of solvents, etc. There was an old NATX 3-compartment tank car used as a storage tank, on its own wheels, just opposite the old Gibbsboro Tavern (where I spent many anight I had difficulty remembering!) that didn't come out til the "Paint Works" complex went in around 82 or 83. Once in a while in the late 60's we'd see CA 289 or 298 switching there around 5 or 5:30--not a day they went back to Camden under their own power no doubt! How come these posts always make me feel old??

#474806  by JJMDiMunno

Thanks for sharing that...if you'd like to post that photo (which I'd love to see personally), you may want to place a copyrigth notice of some kind embedded in the image to hamper copying.

Of course, all credit should go to Bob on that...

Mike DiMunno
 #533283  by south jersey trains

Hi Mike ,I have a photo of several box cars on a siding dated 1915 of Lucas Paint works.Plus several early pictures of the Kirkwood station.I dont have a way to post them but I could meet you at Stratford dinner and lend them to you to make a copy if you like. I use to live in Kirkwood.
 #670014  by jarmat1

I was wondering if any of those pics materialized. I drive by the site on United States Ave every day to & from work. I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Bill L
 #670019  by JJMDiMunno

jarmat1 wrote:I was wondering if any of those pics materialized. I drive by the site on United States Ave every day to & from work. I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Bill L
Negative - anyone have anything to contribute since this thread was originally started?

Mike DiMunno
 #733720  by MedicSutton

Thats funny.. I always wondered about that.. I worked for an ambulance company for two years in that development for two years before it moved to a bigger facility in West Berlin.. A lot of those tracks are still intact..
 #735232  by JJMDiMunno

That's interesting...no, I never knew the freight station still existed. Where specifically is it? If you have a photograph and /or aerial map showing it's location, that would be most helpful...

Mike DiMunno