Willamstown and Delaware Bay(Willamstown Jct to Muillca Hill

Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

PRSL2005

Willamstown and Delaware Bay(Willamstown Jct to Muillca Hill

Post by PRSL2005 »

AKA The Wilamstown Branch
I like to know when the last train went to Muillca Hill and when was the last train used the line to Willamstown. Did the last trains to Willamstown come via Glassboro? And when did the last train go thu via Willamstown Jct? And any more Info on the line . I have all the books so please dont tell me to look it up I did that!(-:

mitch kennedy

Post by mitch kennedy »

Hi-according to a variety of PRSL books, the part from Williamstown to Williamstown Jct came up in 1934 as part of the PRSL merger. Williamstown to Glassboro came up in 1969 EXCEPT for part from the Millville branch to just past Delsea Drive to serve a cold storage/produce distributor. This was intact til 1977 or 78 and saw an occasional reefer spotted there while I went to Glassboro in 76 and 77. Mullica Hill to Glassboro came up in 51 or 52. I believe there are rails-to-trails type paths along part of both. Also, the diamond where the Rdg crossed the PRR in Glassboro cam up as well. At one time , a spur from the Wmstn branch came up a few blocks , right through backyards to serve the freight station in Glassboro! I believe this came up some time in the late 50's or early 60's. This still had the switch intact in the mid 70's. Hope this helps...
Mitch

PRSL2005

Post by PRSL2005 »

Mitch , Thanks for the info on Glassboro. I used to work in the ice plant in "88-"89. I've seen the right of way at Williamstown Junction that runs towards Atco,do u know when they pulled the rails out that went to the sand pit in Tansboro?
Does anyone else have any information on this branch? This is an open discussion for all.

mitch kennedy

Post by mitch kennedy »

Well, it seems to have been officially abandoned during World War 2.. somewhere between 1943 or 1944, but that's not exact. A great history of the whole line from Atco to Mullica Hill is in the West Jersey Chapter's Atlantic City Railroad book (The Royal Route to the Sea). Part of it stayed intact from the Wye at Wmstn Jct to just short of it's crossing New Freedom-New Brooklyn Rd, where the switch to George Pettinos (formerly Bridgeton Sand). came off. This spur followed New Brooklyn Rd and swung off to the loading facility just across Williamstown Rd. This was still active thru 78 or 79 at least. Steam man, what say ye?

EugeneV.Debs

Post by EugeneV.Debs »

Don Wentzel wrote a history of the line for an issue of South Jersey magazine. I don't remember the date offhand. It did mention that the last use of the line to Mullica Hill was monthly delivery of gun powder to the general store in Mullica Hill. That service ended in 1949 and the line was taken up in 1950. Most of the ties and cinders are relatively undisturbed on that part of the line.

Steam man

Post by Steam man »

mitch kennedy wrote:Well, it seems to have been officially abandoned during World War 2.. somewhere between 1943 or 1944, but that's not exact. A great history of the whole line from Atco to Mullica Hill is in the West Jersey Chapter's Atlantic City Railroad book (The Royal Route to the Sea). Part of it stayed intact from the Wye at Wmstn Jct to just short of it's crossing New Freedom-New Brooklyn Rd, where the switch to George Pettinos (formerly Bridgeton Sand). came off. This spur followed New Brooklyn Rd and swung off to the loading facility just across Williamstown Rd. This was still active thru 78 or 79 at least. Steam man, what say ye?
You pretty much got it Mitch. I'm not sure about the 1969 date on the line into Williamstown though. It seems when I worked at Glassboro B&I(1971??), that there was a local drill that went farther than the ice house. I think Downers Sand hole might have still had carloads out of there. But I could be wrong as it been a while ago.
W.L Avis
Steam professional since 1974
Former Block Operator- PRSL

Return to “Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines”