Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #696809  by Statkowski

In areas of low wire with overheight cars, the energized catenary would be turned off as required. Had that done on the New Haven with an overheight piggyback car.
 #696970  by Pennsyjohn

Statkowski wrote:In areas of low wire with overheight cars, the energized catenary would be turned off as required. Had that done on the New Haven with an overheight piggyback car.
I can just see the powermaster jumping back and forth each time one of the dome cars goes through. And you would have to be running diesels. Pulling power to the catenary means GG1's don't run. And how about into PennNY?

Nope, not practical on the NE corridor.

John
 #698100  by Allen Hazen

Once, in probably the mid-to-late 1970s, I rode an Amtrak train from Pittsburgh to Washington DC (leaving from the PRR station in Pittsburgh, but switching to B&O tracks fairly soon). Train had a dome coach -- possibly ex-B&O equipment. No trouble getting into W.U.T., but standard operating procedure was that no-one was allowed in the dome under wires: conductor made sure dome was emptied before we got there.
 #700712  by Nasadowsk

It's not like the NEC had much to look at anyway. By the time domes came around, it was mostly urban decay.

There were domes in Europe, and they ran under wires too. Some of DB and SBB's newer double deckers are kind of like domes on the upper level, too.
 #700723  by The tram man

Dont forget sweden. Here we have doubledecker MU:s and domecars under a wire i think is about 6-7 meters up in the air.