Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1319258  by n2qhvRMLI

Gentle Forum Members,

This 40’ boxcar, painted as a PRR asset, is located at the Wellsboro & Corning Railroad, Wellsboro, PA. They used it as a storage van and in photo freights on their Tioga Central Railroad excursion operation.

They do not have accurate historic data on this car. Could any Forum Members lend some light on this car? They believe it was constructed in 1960. Does this look like an original PRR car or is it a “fantasy paint job?” Any data on class dimensions, weight would also be helpful.

The Railroad Museum of Long Island is investigating the purchase and move of this car to our Museum at Greenport for use as a freight exhibit/video theatre and storage space. Any information and guidance on this car is appreciated.

Thank you for helping,
Don Fisher, PRRT&HS #6837

Railroad Museum of Long Island
 #1319273  by ExCon90

I don't have specific knowledge of the car, but the keystone looks way too high, and the style of lettering and numerals on the reporting marks doesn't look like anything usually seen on a PRR car. Also, there's no CAPY along with the LD LMT and LT WT, and I never heard of a PRR boxcar with a 3-digit number; and the load limit looks high to me for a 40-foot boxcar. And were they still making 40-foot boxcars in 1960?