Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1069679  by The tram man

Im rather interested to know if there were any foreign trains that rolled on the NEC during PRR days, what their consist was and their routes. Im especially interested in those that were pulled by PRR engines, but any power is welcome.
 #1069902  by CarterB

Dunno about "foreign" trains, as such. However, during Pennsy days, plenty of "pool" trains were shared with the New Haven, Southern, RF&P (ACL and SAL) and IIRC a few with FEC.
Trains such as the Crescent, Orange Blossom Special, Havana Special, Champion, Silver Meteor, Comet, Star...etc. to name a very few. On Pennsy territory pulled by Pennsy power.
Consists from all pullman to all coach and everything in between.
 #1070077  by CarterB

Not sure which of the "pool" trains used PRR cars as part/s of the consist, nor do I know if there were any "pure" foreign road trains that operated over the PRR with only their equip and a PRR loco. I am sure others on this forum may know.
 #1070137  by ExNYC63

Southern, Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Air Line and Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac
trains that ran North of Washington on the PRR used a mix of cars from those roads plus
PRR cars. Dining car, lounge car and Pullman employes ran through to NY, but PRR
train crews and engine crews operated the locomotives (GG1s). Lehigh Valley trains
ran from Newark (Hunter tower) with a PRR locomotive and PRR engine crew, but
the train crews and onboard crews were LV. Through trains off New Haven , at
New York, operated with a mix of PRR and NH equipment. The only New Haven
employees that ran through were dining car crews on the trains where a NH car
was used. Trains that used PRR diners ran with their PRR dining car crews through
to Boston.
 #1070161  by twropr

"Foreign" trains in the '60's included:
100/101 ACL West Coast Champion
104/105 ACL East Coast Champion
106/107 ACL Florida Special (winter only)
113/114 SAL Silver Meteor
118 SOU Crescent combined with SAL Palmland
121/122 SAL Silver Star (winter only); ran extra sections of 121/130 during summer weekends
148 SOU Southernon combined with SAL Silver Comet
Other cars to/from Washington connections operates as part of NY-WASH scheduled trains, generally with the connection cars on the rear going south (exception #173 (winter) and #175 (summer) carried Southernor cars on the H/E) and northbounds carried the connection cars on the H/E.

Andy
 #1070169  by The tram man

twropr wrote:"Foreign" trains in the '60's included:
100/101 ACL West Coast Champion
104/105 ACL East Coast Champion
106/107 ACL Florida Special (winter only)
113/114 SAL Silver Meteor
118 SOU Crescent combined with SAL Palmland
121/122 SAL Silver Star (winter only); ran extra sections of 121/130 during summer weekends
148 SOU Southernon combined with SAL Silver Comet
Other cars to/from Washington connections operates as part of NY-WASH scheduled trains, generally with the connection cars on the rear going south (exception #173 (winter) and #175 (summer) carried Southernor cars on the H/E) and northbounds carried the connection cars on the H/E.

Andy
Thanks for the list, Andy. :-D You wouldn't happen to know where i could find the consists for those trains, do you?
 #1070178  by The tram man

CarterB wrote:Some other schedules and rosters here: http://streamlinerschedules.com/concour ... index.html\
and for the Southern trains: http://streamlinerschedules.com/concour ... index.html
Thanks for the links, but i just have one question: are the consists at the bottom of each page, or is that something else?
 #1070339  by JimBoylan

After the Aldine Plan in April, 1967, Central Railroad Company of New Jersey and Reading Company trains passenger trains ran on the PRR between Hunter Tower and Harrison Yard, New Jersey. Between 1918 and 1926, Baltimore & Ohio RR passenger trains trains ran between Hunter Tower and Sunnyside Yard. Between 1933 and 1969, Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines passenger trains trains ran between 30th St. Station and Frankford Jct. Between 1908 and 1910, Baltimore & Ohio RR passenger and freight trains ran between Perryville and Oakington, Md. B&O passenger and freight trains also ran over the NorthEast Corridor between Baltimore and Philadelphia until 1884.
 #1070386  by CarterB

The tram man wrote:
Thanks for the links, but i just have one question: are the consists at the bottom of each page, or is that something else?
Yes the consists at bottoms of pages are for the trains listed above.
RE: The LV trains, after LV stopped going to Communipaw, their trains The John Wilkes, Asa Packer and most famous, Black Diaamond operated, intact, with only GG1 PRR power from Hunter into NYP. (Also operated over the PRR to Exchange Place prior to opening of NYP)
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychao ... page3.html
some consists:
http://jimmancuso1.tripod.com/id9.html
 #1070592  by edbear

Until the Silver Meteor and Champion were introduced to the public about 1939, through coach travel from New York via PRR to points South of Washington was unusual. Coach passengers usually changed trains at D. C. Pullman passengers were run through from New York to Florida points and New Orleans. When the Meteor and Champion were introduced, followed by the Southerner a few years later, through coach service was offered from New York to Miami, St. Petersburg and New Orleans. Initially the Champion and Meteor consisted of one set of streamlined equipment; daily schedules could not be offered until additional equipment was delivered. Later orders for equipment included cars owned by the PRR, RF & P, AW&P and FEC, probably in proportion to the mileage each road handled. PRR's Champion cars had the ACL purple trim. The Champion, Meteor and Southerner ran for a number of years before sleepers were added to the consists.
 #1071110  by The tram man

CarterB wrote:
The tram man wrote:Thanks for the links, but i just have one question: are the consists at the bottom of each page, or is that something else?
Yes the consists at bottoms of pages are for the trains listed above.
Thanks mate, but i must admit: i don't quite understand those consists.
edbear wrote:Until the Silver Meteor and Champion were introduced to the public about 1939, through coach travel from New York via PRR to points South of Washington was unusual. Coach passengers usually changed trains at D. C. Pullman passengers were run through from New York to Florida points and New Orleans. When the Meteor and Champion were introduced, followed by the Southerner a few years later, through coach service was offered from New York to Miami, St. Petersburg and New Orleans. Initially the Champion and Meteor consisted of one set of streamlined equipment; daily schedules could not be offered until additional equipment was delivered. Later orders for equipment included cars owned by the PRR, RF & P, AW&P and FEC, probably in proportion to the mileage each road handled. PRR's Champion cars had the ACL purple trim. The Champion, Meteor and Southerner ran for a number of years before sleepers were added to the consists.
Thanks for the interesting read, my friend. Do you know where i could find some pics of those PRR Champion cars? All the ones i've found had Tuscan Red trim.
 #1103761  by Zeke

The Western Maryland Ry ran thru Baltimore IIRC from Canton junction to Sparrows point thru the B & P and Union tunnels and PRR's Baltimore station.I recall seeing six WM F-units around 1971 running north on the NEC or Chesapeake div as it was named then,from Bowie with an empty Popes Creek coal train dunno if it ran that way in PRR days. Back in 1965 Jersey Central ran freights over the PRR from Newark to Monmouth jct for several months due to a barge taking out the NY&LB draw over the Raritan river. They(CNJ) also ran some deadhead passenger moves over the NEC. The power was pure CNJ due to the fact quite a few off thier lcos were cab signal equipped. Back in the late 1950's Atlantic Coast line E-units ran thru to Newark,NJ from D.C. over the NEC due to the massive powdered snow caused failure of PRR GG-1's. I believe a set of RF&P and Seaboard Airline E-s made it to Newark also during that brief period. The diesels were cut off east of Newark, replaced by an electric motor,and run down to the Meadows diesel pit where they were fueled and watered up and sent back south on their next respective Florida train.I believe a few made the turn in Philly also.There pix of these movments on the net and in fan publications.