Railroad Forums 

• Diesel "B" Units in NH Line/PC service Pssgr or Frght

• Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#610764  by Otto Vondrak

NYC steam generators:

http://canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-xh-6.jpg

http://canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-h4.jpg

Possible? But what year were we talking about again?
 #610803  by Allen Hazen

Did the Long Island ever have steam generator cars that looked like the New York Central's? The New York subway's #7 line goes over Sunnyside Yard, and in about 1982 (keeping a sharp eye out for potentially interesting railroad items on a trip between outer Queens and Manhattan) I saw one or two things looking a bit like these sitting in the yard, and I've never known what they were.
 #610839  by Jeff Smith

Cool pics, Otto, but no, not those. Further "searches" of my memory recall that they were very much like the cab units they trailed. I do remember portholes now, not windows. Could they have been B units for F-10's? Did the E-7's or 8's have B units? Any NH or NYC freight locomotives? I've ordered some books, if I come up with anything, I'll let you know. Sorry to send everyone off on such a wild goose chase.
 #610912  by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:Cool pics, Otto, but no, not those. Further "searches" of my memory recall that they were very much like the cab units they trailed. I do remember portholes now, not windows. Could they have been B units for F-10's? Did the E-7's or 8's have B units? Any NH or NYC freight locomotives? I've ordered some books, if I come up with anything, I'll let you know. Sorry to send everyone off on such a wild goose chase.
Once again, nothing in the 1971 time period you're talking about. The F-10's did not arrive on Metro-North until 1992, and there were no "B" units as part of that transaction (The F-10's were rebuilt by Paducah in 1979 for MBTA commuter service from old GM&O F-3's. No B-units were part of that order).
 #621212  by Jeff Smith

TomNelligan wrote:
Sarge wrote: So they would have been called "B" units, but not on the FL9. I'm positive I remember seeing them, but it must have been NH or PC days, then, and probably a long distance train.
No one has yet mentioned the passenger B-units (E7Bs) that the New York Central and then Penn Central ran with E7s and E8s on mail and express trains on the Hudson Division and then down the West Side freight line. PC had a fair number of F7Bs in service into the early 1970s (although I believe only F7As lasted to Conrail). PC's F-units were concentrated in the Midwest, but did come east as late as the early 1970s. And a couple of the New Haven's Alco FBs were still active in freight service into the early PC period, through 1969 at least, although they usually ran out of Boston. The NH never had any passenger B-units.
Noel Weaver wrote:I am not sure just what we are getting at here regarding engines into Grand Central Terminal. Over a long period of years a
lot of different diesels have made an appearance in the terminal. This includes E-7 and E-8 A units but I do not ever recall
seeing a B unit in the terminal.
Noel Weaver
Ran across something in the Winter 2008 Issue of Classic Trains: Page 80. There is a picture of an E8 with an F3B; both appear to have portholes, as per my recollection. Of course, it's Kansas City Southern and the date is 1962. Still, there were F3B's, but per Otto, the F-10's nee F-3's did not arrive until the 90's?

However, I think Tom's point that the NH never had any passenger B units must be correct, and I must have seen an FB on freight service, since it was the PC period, which is when I now remember them. I guess it could have been an E7B or F7B, but according to Tom, not likely.

Once again, thanks to all.

(edited for clarity)
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #621523  by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:
BR&P wrote:How did this one get into the NYC forum?
It started in MNRR forum, then was moved here.
'twasn't me, so I moved it to Penn Central.
 #621703  by lvrr325

New Haven Power shows no passenger B's. In fact, New Haven never even bought an F-unit until the FL9. But they had FAs, FB's, PAs, DL109s, and various FM cabs (by 1969 I believe only some FAs remained, along with one DL109 carcass).

F7/F9 B units lasted into Conrail, Penn Central even ran some ex-D&RGW ABBA sets they bought intending to use as trade-ins, but finding them to be in good shape. Conrail also ran some ex-EL F-units, both A and B.

New York Central had PBs including one re-engined with an EMD prime mover. Gone by PC I believe, though.