Railroad Forums 

• NYC heavyweight cars in HO scale

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1358505  by UKfan2015

Dear All

For those of you like me who are excited by BLI's forthcoming ho scale Commodore Vanderbilt engine, I wanted to ask about passenger consists which would have been hauled by the real loco back in the day.
Which cars would have made up a typical consist, and are there any HO models out there which are accurate enough to be matched up with this model?
I had noticed on eBay recently a Bachmann Spectrum set of HW NYC cars, but don't know how accurate they are cf to the real thing

Many thanks

Andrew
 #1358553  by shlustig

Have you contacted the New York Central System Historical Society Modelers through the NYCSHS website?

They should be able to give you a definitive answer.
 #1358622  by Backshophoss

The Bachmann Spectrum series cars are useable,Bachmann put correct 4 wheel trucks under the coaches,
however the lighting IS NOT DCC friendly(single bulb)and the coupler mount is linked to the trucks.
The cars have basic interior details.
You can use the green Pullman Sleeper with the set,it would not be out of place,Pullman cars were painted in
NYC colors,but,extra cars from Pullman could be green.(Pullman fleet standard color)
The HW cars from Walters will run with the Bachmann cars.
Suggest you visit the following site: http://acmodels.board.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1358806  by wjstix

5344 became the Commodore Vanderbilt before the 20th Century Limited was streamlined in 1938, so any NYC cars it pulled would have been Pullman green whether owned by Pullman or NYC. Not long after the original two-tone gray 20th C. scheme was introduced in 1938 (light gray car with dark gray band thru the windows), 5344 was re-streamlined into the new 20th C. scheme.