Railroad Forums 

• Is the Erie Pine Island Station Still Standing?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#895225  by tabcourt

I took a look today for the structure pictured on the Existing Stations in New York State web site but couldn't find it. The site says it is located "behind NAPA auto parts". But I didn't see anything that matched the photo posted which I think was taken in 2006.
 #895290  by peterde

Haven't be there is a while, but its no longer a auto parts store. It's a kitchen cabinet place with a preschool. It is the red building in the picture. This is a side view, you really can't see it directly from the street. I will take a drive there this weekend and verify that is is still standing. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=628+CR+1+ ... qylPYB3lIg
 #895418  by Marty Feldner

Station building is still there. The addition built on the south end hides the original structure, especially if you're heading west on Cty 1.

Pan to the left on the linked Google Maps image; the rear part of the red building is the station (actually, obvious- if you know what to look for). Not sure about the cabinetry operation, but it is mainly a preschool now. NAPA Auto parts moved out several years ago. The photo (2000) on Charles Woolever's site is of the back side of the station (facing towards Goshen, and not seen from the main road), before it was repainted to red.
 #895453  by Roadgeek Adam

Marty Feldner wrote:Station building is still there. The addition built on the south end hides the original structure, especially if you're heading west on Cty 1.

Pan to the left on the linked Google Maps image; the rear part of the red building is the station (actually, obvious- if you know what to look for). Not sure about the cabinetry operation, but it is mainly a preschool now. NAPA Auto parts moved out several years ago. The photo (2000) on Charles Woolever's site is of the back side of the station (facing towards Goshen, and not seen from the main road), before it was repainted to red.
Well, if its foundation changed, that just ended its hope for the National Register of Historic Places because that would have changed its foundation. But yes I saw the structure attached to the station.
 #895926  by tabcourt

Okay, then. Thanks to your replies, I can confirm that it is still standing. I did indeed see that red building. Since I did not know that NAPA had moved down the road a piece, I was looking around the immediate vicinity of the current NAPA store. When I saw the red building some distance away, I wasn't sure, even though the rear portion of the building had architectural details that of a RR depot. Also, a clearly discernible ROW is lacking. All that being said, it's nice to know that it is still there. Now, whatever became of the Florida, NY station?
 #897638  by Marty Feldner

I've lived in the area for over 60 years, and don't recall (even as a kid) ever seeing the Florida NY station, other than in pictures. Passenger service ended on the branch sometime in the thirties. I have inquiries out about when the station 'went away', and will post anything I hear back. If I hear anything back...
 #897646  by Roadgeek Adam

Marty Feldner wrote:I've lived in the area for over 60 years, and don't recall (even as a kid) ever seeing the Florida NY station, other than in pictures. Passenger service ended on the branch sometime in the thirties. I have inquiries out about when the station 'went away', and will post anything I hear back. If I hear anything back...
The station that's been driving me off the wall for the Pine Island Branch was the well named "Station H'. This I've always assumed was a flag stop, but for where and what? It seemed a bit out of place to have a not named station in the middle of nowhere. It was active in 1916 and was gone by 1931, but that doesn't help here.
 #898098  by Marty Feldner

'Station H'? That's a new one on me- never heard of it, or any reference to it. And nothing like that shows on any of the maps or timetables I have access to; the only stations I've ever been aware of are Goshen, Orange Farms, Florida, Big Island, and Pine Island. Other than those two dates, do you have any information on it? Mileage? Between what other stations?

A flag stop is a possibility; the branch did pass through or by a few large farms- most visibly Prospect Hill farm at Finnegan's Corners. Possibly one of these was owned by a family whose name started with 'H'...
 #898125  by Marty Feldner

More...

I'd forgotten I had copies of the Pine Island Branch val maps; I dug them out to check them. A couple of 'H' possibilities:

A Houston family owned property between Florida and Big Island. Nothing shows there on the ROW.

North of Florida, between Gibson Road and Houston Road, a Howell family owned property. Related, at the Houston Road crossing (northwest quadrant) was the Howell Condensed Milk Co.- presumably the same Howell. There was a short siding there for the condensary; perhaps that was 'Station H"?

Also from the val maps: station removal dates.
Orange Farm- 11-30-1937
Florida- 6-15-1959 (so I would have seen it, just don't remember it; I was 12)
Big Island- 10-16-35

Goshen and Pine Island, of course, still stand.
 #898169  by Roadgeek Adam

http://www.jon-n-bevliles.net/RAILROAD/ ... osn16.html

Station H (No Agent)

N. Y.

New York (Pine Island Branch).
There it is. However, I don't know its location. The station was gone by 1923 (looking at more sources)
 #935579  by peterde

Roadgeek Adam wrote:The station that's been driving me off the wall for the Pine Island Branch was the well named "Station H'. This I've always assumed was a flag stop, but for where and what? It seemed a bit out of place to have a not named station in the middle of nowhere. It was active in 1916 and was gone by 1931, but that doesn't help here.
Marty Feldner wrote:The only stations I've ever been aware of are Goshen, Orange Farms, Florida, Big Island, and Pine Island.
I'm not sure this helps, but when I was looking at the 1903 Orange County Atlas I found a station between Goshen and Orange Farms Station. Below you will find a picture with Goshen marked as #1, Orange Farms #2 and the unnamed Station (right by Eliz Holbert house, maybe thats the 'H')? Not sure if maybe I'm misreading something, but I hope it helps.

#935701  by Roadgeek Adam

It looks very plausible that the Holbert Farm is the Station H determined. Now, however, is there anymore stations on the maps that might specify any more unusual stations?

(I'm currently attempting research to find out about Elizabeth Holbert during my vacation, oy.)
 #935811  by peterde

Roadgeek Adam wrote:It looks very plausible that the Holbert Farm is the Station H determined. Now, however, is there anymore stations on the maps that might specify any more unusual stations?

(I'm currently attempting research to find out about Elizabeth Holbert during my vacation, oy.)
Everything else looks normal, Big Island, Pine Island, and after the Pine Island Junction Wilcox Station, Eden Station and Liberty Corner Station.

#935833  by Roadgeek Adam

Looks good to me. Thanks. Want to do another mystery station for me?

Poor House Platform

Franklin Branch in western PA. There is a mention of it in the link above where I posted the station H stuff.