Railroad Forums 

• Why is Gladstone "end of line"

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#747087  by Schuylkill Valley

Hello all,
I'm working with Project 565 , we have an ex. DL&W/EL/CR. employee who has been helping us out in many ways. He has told us about this branch line of the Gladstone. and one of our members was born along this line and is a historian on the line. He and Mr. Joe Conrad age 85 has talk over the gladstone quite a bit lately , Here is one of Mr. Conrads Emails . He send them to me because they also talk about 565 and I'm the Co - Head lead for the project.

Len.

Now here is what Mr. Conrad has to say about the gladestone branch.
" Good evening Mr. H.,
So your a Gladstone Branch Junky? :)

I work on the extra jobs on that branch from 1950 through 1952. Ever walk through the Far Hills tunnel? did you know that had a hole cut in the top to let the smoke out? The P&D that stood for Passaic and Delaware Railroad with the DL&W took over control of operation.

" Was there a siding at Basking Ridge?"
Yes there were three tracks at Basking Ridge station , you had the main One and main Two and you had the freight siding, plus a cross over below the station from one main to second main. After it was Electrified in 1931, it was cut back to two tracks, and then one in 1953.

Just below Lyons about a mile we had a small yard called "Quarry" of five tracks Do you remember this? we had a passing siding and 3 freight tracks to store stone cars. The quarry uses to load the stone cars with a clam shell crane. Ever walk across the trestle below the quarry?

Do you remember the small rail yard at Berkeley Heights? We had a water tower there too.

At Summit on the main line, we had a large yard and repair shops, and a 90' table and a Six stall round house. the house was ripped down in 1957. the table stayed in until 1962. After EL took over the removed the shops and yard tracks and sold the land to the city of Summit.

You speak of Conkling Lumber Company , they had two freight sidings, but I don't remember if there was a coaling trestle or not. Sorry.

" U-boats? not on the real Lackawanna!!! Maybe on the "Extra Late"?"
Oh Ok , I see I'm not talking with a dummy you know your two railroads very well. Your right about the Extra Late or Ever Lasting . We had other names for it too. But I'll keep it clean. :)

How did you guy's do with our sweet heart on Sunday? Is this Mr. Shaner nice to work with? Dose he knows steam? Or is he another know it all who doesn't know nothing at all. Like most young kids.

God Bless
Joe Conrad "