Railroad Forums 

• Photos of DL&W Bloomsburg Branch

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#673485  by mkolesar

I formerly lived in Swoyersville PA and have vivid memories of the LV and EL (DL&W).

I spent many hours walking the DL&W Bllomsburg branch from Pittston to Plymouth.

What book or video offers the best photos of the DL&W "Bloom" branch from Pittston to Plymouth. I have explained to many how well this branch was maintained (at least through the 60s) but it is difficult to believe as one now looks at the remnants of the line.

Also, does anyone have any info on the daily frequency of trains this branch saw?

Thanks
 #673497  by JhnZ33

mkolesar wrote:I formerly lived in Swoyersville PA and have vivid memories of the LV and EL (DL&W).

I spent many hours walking the DL&W Bllomsburg branch from Pittston to Plymouth.

What book or video offers the best photos of the DL&W "Bloom" branch from Pittston to Plymouth. I have explained to many how well this branch was maintained (at least through the 60s) but it is difficult to believe as one now looks at the remnants of the line.

Also, does anyone have any info on the daily frequency of trains this branch saw?

Thanks
Dave Klutchko shot some 8mm film of the EL and LV in the Swoyersville area back in the late 60's. Also William Wentz shot some film of the EL Kingston Yards in the early 60's. I transferred the footage for both. I would have to see if I could get permission to make a copy. Please contact me via private message.

JP
 #685152  by 2nd trick op

For many years, as I was growing up, service on the "Bloom" consisted of a Monday-Friday local freight, Kingston to Danville and return, which operated during daylight hours, and a nightly Scranton (Taylor yard) to Northumberland turn, which departed Taylor in late afternoon and returned in the early hours of the following morning. A second through freight operated only as far south as the RDG connection at Rupert at one time, and while the line had few interlocking plants, it was protected by lower-quadrant semaphore Automatic Block Signals until about 1961.

Going even further back, Lackawanna operated one or two "accomodation" passenger trains between Scranton and "Norry" until early in 1953. These runs stayed steam-powered until the end, and both Camelback and semi-streamlined power (skirts in the form of wings) have been documented. The two roads paralelling the North Branch, DL&W and PRR, co-operated in posting joint schedules showing service on both sides of the river in later years.

The late Clarence Weaver, of Sunbury, was the dean of East-Central Pennsylvania rail photgraphers, but his collection foumd little exposure until his heirs began to make it available to the public. The annual calendars of the North Shore Railroad have featured many of his photos.

Things began to change in 1968, when the NYC-PRR merger put an end to the use of NYC's Corning Branch as a route for a RDC-NYC interchange at Williamsport. The two roads diverted traffic via Rupert, but they paid the price for a lot of deferred maintenance in the form of reduced speeds and a couple of wrecks. The power was often pure "covered wagon" cab-unit lash-ups, so photographers were drawn once the word got around.

The Hurricane Agnes flood of 1972 put the line out of service for weeks, and the Final System "rationalization" plan drawn up at Conrail's creation found other routes for traffic between Philadelphia, Buffalo and points west. Through service was diverted, and the line cut backto the PP&L nuclear power plant near Beach Haven, all served from the former PRR connection at Northumberland. The rails north of that point came up in the summer of 1978.