Railroad Forums 

• EL MU/Locomotive in Tabor Lake???

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#237818  by nick11a

Idiot Railfan wrote:
nick11a wrote:
wpdj61 wrote:Comet V = Future Coral Reef
And some are rusting already (above sea/lake level).
Are you implying that the current Comets are populated by parasites and other various bottom-dwellers?!?
No- just Spongebob. :-)

But I am saying that despite having stainless steel, I've noticed some rusting on Some of the Comet Vs.

#237819  by njt4172

Idiot Railfan wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Are you implying that the current Comets are populated by parasites and other various bottom-dwellers?!?

Well, at least they would make a good home for spongebob square pants and of course Patrick...........

#237823  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
Idiot Railfan wrote:
nick11a wrote:

Well, at least they would make a good home for spongebob square pants and of course Patrick...........
Nah, it wouldn't- not for those two. I think they're more suitable to Squidworth.

#237826  by njt4172

Lolo, Nicky, you beat me too it!! :wink:

Both posts at 10:16 PM EST! It is really 11:36 EDT

#237989  by F23A4

I was not aware that Bikini Bottom Transit was in need of rail coaches. :P

#238074  by NJ Vike

No, no, no. They are owned by none other than Mr. Crabs :-)

#238127  by jmp883

I've lived in Wanaque, NJ for over 30 years and I remember some of the old-timers here telling me that the same thing happened in the Wanaque Reservoir.

Supposedly one of the last trains along the Greenwood Lake Branch derailed, the locomotive overturned, and fell into the reservoir. The reservoir has gotten pretty empty during recent summers and I've never seen anything but building foundations and a few old bridges.

I'll bet every body of water in NJ with a rail line alongside it has the same story told about it. :-D

#238129  by scottychaos

Dont forget about the DL&W Pocono thats still in the river at the Delaware Water Gap! :wink: :P

Scot

#238205  by Scrap The U34CH

I used to know a family that owned a cabin at Tabor Lake. I had heard from them many, many times about a RR car in the lake. They say you can see the wheels under the water along the tracks from a boat. I heard this from them all through the time I knew them from the late 70's into the 90's. Other people I know also swear there is a RR car in the lake also. We drank and partied at Tabor Lake quite a bit back in the day. I once knew several of the people who spend summers there and they all said it's true.

Weather this is in fact true or not, I don't know. There was once an Ice house along the lake so it may be an old Ice reefer. There is also trolley ROW remains near the road crossing at Tabor Lake, and it goes all the way down to Rt 10.

Tabor Lake is not by Mt. Tabor station. It is 2 miles or so from it. There is another lake between Mt. Tabor and Tabor Lake. This one we used call "Chettles Pond" while we were growing up. The real name was Lake Lenoir. I have no idea where these two names came from. Some maps get these two confused while others call one or the other Powder Mill Pond. There was once a Powder Mill built along the outlet of Tabor Lake. The water leaving the lake ran the mill. This is where that part of Parsippany got it's name from.

There is a web site about Tabor Lake here:

http://www.the111experience.org/indexTNPLTL.html

It doesn't say anything about a RR car in the water though. I just E Mailed the site admin asking about this rumor. I'll let you know if I get a reply.
 #238340  by henry6

First: there is no Pocono in the Delaware River. That late 40's accident with #9 was completely cleaned up. What is there, at Point of Gap, are several cement hoppers which got away from Port Morris and rolled west back in the late 50's or very early 60's.

Second: I really don't believe the stories of such an accident at Tabor Lake (better known as Powder Mill Pond). I have never heard the story before, have no news clippings or files refrenceing such an accident. That picture doesn't even make sense as it shows water on both sides of the tracks with at three track right of way, which is not Powder Mill Curve. Nor is it Estling and Indian Lakes west of Denville station because the spillway/dam between the two is not located near and shorline but rather closer to the midway point. In otherwords, guys, the pic is not real at all. I have enjoyed it for the fun it is anyway. But I can't take it seriously. Only my reference to a lever in the Tower for draining Estling Lake is real.
 #238359  by henry6

Oh, and Chettle's Pond or Lake Lenore: Lake Lenore is the proper name; it was called Chettle's Pond because the Chettle family were, at one time, the only family that lived there (back in the 50's). I am not sure if any Chettle lives there today; one of them, Art, a contemporary of mine from the 50's, lives in CA but I don't know of his sister or brother.

#238501  by Scrap The U34CH

That picture IS defiantly Estling\Indian lakes. There are only 2 tracks in the picture. THe thing that looks like a 3rd track is the service road next to the tracks. Indian Lk is the one on top. I had a friend that lived in the lowest house on the right. Next to him was a park, then there is a pump house, then the lake. We used to jump off that bridge into Indian Lk in summer. There is actually 2 bridges there. One is cut stone with an archway underneath, and is the older section. The second was built later and is concrete, square underside. I spent a lot of time around there way back when.
 #238672  by henry6

I am not saying its not Indian/Estling lakes...and the three (one time 4) track ROW is plainly there. I don't remember the water course under the tracks at that point, though. And it is much more built up than when I grew up in the neighborhood. In the course of my youth I got to walk the DL&W from Boonton and Morristown all the way to Landing station (including the Rockaway Branch) and was intimately familiar with all the then existiing landmarks...say up to 1965 anyway. I can in fact remember track three in service to Dover.
 #238698  by henry6

WOW! Just did a google earth download to the spot we are discussing! The "land" in the upper left hand corner is all new fill into Indian Lake that was not there when I grew up. And the water course under the railroad seen there used to be about half way between the east and west shores of Indian Lake...and that was what was confusing me! Yes, there has been a lot of changes there since I left; haven't walked up that far in 15 or 20 years! Now, I wonder if the valve operated by lever 51 is still there??? I know the Comet cars aren't.

#238811  by NHRR WTBY

Scrap The U34CH wrote:I used to know a family that owned a cabin at Tabor Lake. I had heard from them many, many times about a RR car in the lake. They say you can see the wheels under the water along the tracks from a boat. I heard this from them all through the time I knew them from the late 70's into the 90's. Other people I know also swear there is a RR car in the lake also. We drank and partied at Tabor Lake quite a bit back in the day. I once knew several of the people who spend summers there and they all said it's true.
Well, even if it's not true, at least I'm not going crazy. Someone else has heard the same story, and it has spawned quite an interesting thread....