Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#71817  by rcbsd45

I have today received word of the death of John "J.J." Young, Jr., who passed away earlier today (11/27/04) at his home in Charleston, W.V. He was 76.

John was a prolific and talented railroad photographer, and was widely published in the railfan press from the 1940s on. His photos appeared in many magazines and books covering the steam to diesel transition era, and after. His early work included extensive coverage of the B&O, C&O, W&LE, Pennsy, and other lines.

John was a native of West Virginia, but lived many years in Binghamton, N.Y., where he extensively photographed the Erie, Lackawanna, E-L, Lehigh Valley, and Delaware and Hudson. After retiring from a career in photography and audio-visual work, he returned to West Virginia to live in the 1990s.

John was a great guy, wonderful storyteller, and a tireless and enthusiastic railfan who was always willing to share photo tips and techniques with younger fans and newcomers to the hobby. He was once among the most widely published railfan photographers in the nation. He will be sorely missed.

#73901  by sodusbay

I can't let this item go by without commenting. I never knew the man, but his photography was, to me, the epitome of Railroad Photography. The instantly-recognizable style that just screamed "this is northeastern railroading!". RIP.