Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#274662  by DougKerr

I am old enough to remember passenger service on the Albany Main. I grew up in Delmar and rode the afternoon train from Albany to either Delmar or Voorheesville several times. The train was discontinued in 1963, now the track is gone. Very sad. As a comparison, in 1962 the train made the trip from Albany to Delmar in 11 minutes. Even with I-787 and the other highways built since 1962 I don't think it is possible to equal that!
 #625734  by MrBoh

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I saw this line was torn up while looking on google maps and found this thread while looking for some info. I was born in Delmar and lived there from 1982 to 1988. My mom took a friend and I to the Stewart's on Delaware ave (309 Delaware ave I believe), and stopped on the tracks right behind the Stewart's was an engine running light (westbound). My friend and I just stood there, starring at the engine, as the engineer was inside grabbing a bite to eat. He came out and saw us and asked my mom if we wanted to take a quick ride. He said he would meet her at the Adams st grade crossing, so we climbed up and off we went. Looking now, its not even a half mile from the Stewart's to Adams st, but it sure felt longer and the engineer let us go to town with the horn the whole way. Then we got to Adams, the engineer handed us down to my mom, and that was that. Later my mom told me she must have been crazy to let us do that, and she thought people were going to call the police as she was getting us down from the engine. Really sad when I saw this line is gone now.