Railroad Forums 

• P42 cooling

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#57209  by rlambrecht

Additional fan facts:

The GEVO has 2 fans for the air to air intercooler.

SBD (SCL) C30-7's had the first production Eddy current clutch, all -7's thereafter came equipped with this feature.

2300 (2250, actually) hp GE's have 5 radiator cores, U18's have four, all other U's and D-7's have 6.

Robert Lambrecht
 #57481  by Allen Hazen

R. Lambrecht-- Are you sure that all 3000 (and up) GE locomtives have had six cores> I have a vague recollection that the B32-8 (freight for NS and/or passenger for Amtrak) may have had fewer. (But it's only a vague recollection. Source may have been the "Railroad Model Craftsman" article of July 1993 on the Amtrak B32-8WH: the top view scale drawing -- and also a phot from a high enough angle to get roof details -- shows the right rear radiator "grill" blanked off, leaving only five instead of the normal-- on 16-cylinder Dash-8 units -- six with screening.)
--
Of course, you can get exceptions to the general rule with special order units. I think the U23B units experimentally rated 2750 on the L&N had six cores, and the C36-7 built for one of the Western Australian iron ore mining railroads had a seventh, mounted in a sort of miniature wingspan on the hood roof near the central air intake, in frnt of the engine. And I think some U23B built for Southern Peru Copper may have had some non-standard radiator arrangement.
 #1025547  by mbta1051dan

Is the rad fan what makes the constant hum of the P42DCs in HEP mode? I also hear this in other GE's of that generation, but more pronounced on the Genesis series.